Toothless

The boys visited had a dental appointment this last week.  Lance has had a cracked tooth for some time now and I knew I couldn't put it off any longer.  Vito was supposed to just be a cleaning, with the possibility of an extraction depending on what the xrays showed for one of his teeth.  But Vito likes to go all out when it comes to medical stuff.

After surgery
4 teeth.  Yup, that's how many teeth Vito had removed.  For those that have met the Toller, you will recall that he has already had 3 teeth removed as a puppy due to the severity of his overbite.  Well this week's surgery needed 3 more teeth pulled due to the same problem of them crushing into each other, as well as that bonus tooth that was cracked.


Lance had the 1 tooth removed and thankfully didn't have the ambitions of his brother to ask for any more out.

Due to the majorness of Vito's surgery and the lateness that it ended up being after Lance's, both boys were ordered to spend the night to get fluids and icing.  I panicked and pleaded for the Toller, promising to bring him back first thing in the morning.  I failed.  But reason #958 I love my vet, she offered to take the boys to her house and even let Vito sleep in bed with her as she set her alarm to wake up twice in the middle of the night to attend to them.  She said he was a good snuggler.  Obviously.

Reason #959 I love my vet is that the next day they set Vito up in a large xpen with access to the soft crate I brought instead of putting him in one of the normal recovery crates.  Lance prefered to not be touch.

Vito preferred constant petting.  Constant.

Meditating with Grandma
 Both boys are on soft food restrictions for a month.  I've gotten permission to buy a bunch of small soft toys so Vito can play fetch in a week, but I've promised no tugging or balls.   Hopefully the toothless wonder will feel better and fingers are crossed that it may even be an explanation for his increase in anxiety recently.

Kristen  – ( May 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM )  

That's really miserable. Griffin had a premolar and a sliver of his jaw removed last summer. He was better much, much faster than I expected and we're glad we got it done when we did. You'll be back to regular fetch and tug soon enough!

Your vet sounds wonderful!

Unknown  – ( May 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM )  

Ugh! Poor boys. I'm sure it'll be rough having them on restrictions too. Do you think that Vito will have to get more teeth removed in the future? Or, fingers crossed, will this be the end of it?

Reason #959 I love my vet is that the next day they set Vito up in a large xpen with access to the soft crate I brought instead of putting him in one of the normal recovery crates.

I had one of these moments when I took Indy in last week. I was so stressed out about her spurting, bleeding leg (oh hi tendons and bone!), that it didn't even occur to me that she was dog-reactive and might get anxious crated with other dogs. But there's a note in her chart that she's reactive, and they automatically cleaned out a kennel in the CAT ROOM for her! She was in seventh heaven with a chatty Siamese right above her. Happy girl.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( May 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM )  

I wouldn't think he would need anymore teeth removed in the future due to his overbite, but then I certainly wasn't expecting that this time!

Yay for awesome vets who care/know how how to handle the behavioral side of dogs!

Kiyi Kiyi  – ( May 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM )  

Aww poor little guys I hope they feel better very soon!

Your vet sounds awesome!

Dexter  – ( May 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM )  

Your vet really is amazing. Vito needed to have a human around during his first night after surgery. I'm glad he didn't go freaky monkey over it and is home safe and sound. Lance too.

Mango Momma

Kim  – ( May 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM )  

I hope the boys are both feeling better. And I also hope your vet got to the root of his recently increased anxiety (pardon the pun!).

Achieve1dream  – ( May 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM )  

Wow your vet is amazing! Wish I could find someone like that. :)

Sorry Vito has had it so rough lately with his anxiety and now his teeth. I hope, once he's recovered, that he feels much better!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"