Another retrain for the cogi?

Am I out of mind for considering REstarting a running contact with the corgi?  That was my original plan with him and was started almost 2yrs ago.  I used the same method as I did with Vito but really struggled with Lance.  He runs like a bunny and I just couldn't tell if he ran or jumped.  In those early days if I would test to see what his natural striding was like on the real equipment the answer was LEAP FOR JOY!  I switched to 4 on the floor for the aframe and 2o2o on the dogwalk in winter of 09.  And then because I like confusing the corgi switched his dogwalk to 4otf as well. 

Fast forward a year and I'm thinking of switching his criteria yet again.  He hates stopping in trials as he made obvious by blowing me off and taking extra strides before downing.  I fixed it, or at least fooled myself into believing so by doing a lot of proofing.  But the real reason I want to switch is because of his aframe.  I cringe every time Lance leaps and then folds up his stubby paws to land like a brick in a down.  His better attempts he jumps and takes a stride before downing.  When he is slow there is no jump.

So knock some sense into me.  Why would doing running contacts now be any easier then when I first started?  What would my criteria be if you can't see split legs in Mr. Stumpy?  Should I just train the aframe for running and leave the dogwalk as 4otf, and what method would I use?  I don't have regular access to the equipment, it's just me my dog and a board. 

Oh and because I'm picky I want handler independent contacts whether running or stopped.  No sticking my hand in his little face, no yelling at him so he slows down and adds in a stride.  And no early releases as I think that can lead to problems down the road with a dog who loves to fly. 

Help me and my poor 1st dog!

Robin Sallie  – ( February 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM )  

I have almost 24/7 access to equipment if you are looking for somewhere to do your own thing.

Achieve1dream  – ( February 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM )  

I don't know anything about teaching contacts. Sorry! I hope someone has some good advice for you. Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Lynnda L in Mpls  – ( February 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM )  

Rachel Sanders' box-for-the-A-frame works. Kory Kaye could probably lend you the DVD. For now I'd keep the stop on the dogwalk. Do you have a stretch of 30'at home to proof bouncing intp the PVC box [away from an a-frame] with a jump?

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( February 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM )  

Robin- Thank you very much for the offer!!!

Lynnda- I actually just had the opportunity to talk to Kory about Lance last night. I was leaning towards the box method myself but Kory didn't think it would be a good fit for the corgi although she's very happy with it on her shelties. I'm going to do it Trkman style again and since I'll already have to stop trialing might as well throw in the dogwalk. It was quite the long conversation and I feel better! Not looking forward to all the work though.

andrea  – ( February 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM )  

you do cpe I know so if you want to trial do cpe classes that won't require contacts - fullhouse, jackpot, jumpers, likely snookers, possibly wildcard- colours and standard aren't as safe bets

I am impressed with your dedication to fixing this - I wish I knew a plan that would ace contacts with Sally

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"