Pyra 16wks

This whole decision to return Pyra is way harder on us than it will be on Py.  I know it's going to be easy for her to find a great home and new people to love.  Such a confident and easy girl!  Huge thank you's to everyone who has been supportive of our decision, even if you disagree.

Last picture with leaves.  First snowfall brought 7 inches to our door.  It's safe to say that Py loves the snow!


Pyra remains the most cuddly puppy of all time.  She constantly wants to be crawling on my lap, back, or even head.  The advantage point of sitting on top of the couch allows her to easily able to offer   all possible variations of crawling on top of me with 2 or even all 4 paws.  Supreme couch monkey.
Bad selfie.  But chin rest on head is better than standing on my head.

Vito is used to her clunking around on the couch and falling everywhere, that he hardly notices anymore when she just decides to stay on top of him.  Good boy Vito.

The plan is to drive her back to her breeder in 2 weeks.  In the meantime, fun with training has continued:

1. Backing up to her 2o2o has been successful!  We have about a 3ft backup at this point and very rare cheating of spinning around and going forward to the little box.

2. Formal retrieve of objects we are still working on moving to my hand.  Progressing nicely with movement but Py has also offered just sitting and holding the item as well.  I think she has been my only puppy to ever offer a solid short hold of an item!  Typically I always train retrieve to my hand before I work on being still and holding as it's just easier and more fun.  So Py is the first dog I've taught a little hold first, and we're up to 3 solid, non-mouthy, seconds!

3. Hind leg lifts!  Py had her first few lessons on putting just one of her back legs on a vertical-ish surface.  Lots of attempts to smash my little leaning board to the ground so she can more easily stomp on it.  But I think she's starting to get the concept

4. Drumming!  Another new trick for Pyra.  Such an easy but fun trick.

And of course we continue an occasional session of her other tricks.  So far she has also been introduced to:
- shake (L), paw (R), scootch backwards, are you sad, frog, (sad frog), reverse between my legs, walk on my feet, weave between my legs, spin Right, spin Left, 4 feet in a small box, out around a cone/tree/something, under a chair, nose touch hand, rollover

I wouldn't bet a dollar on any of them being done on one cue though!
Lance is so good with the puppies!

Unknown  – ( November 11, 2014 at 8:32 PM )  

i bet lance will pout >3 days when she goes and that even vito will be sad too.............

Achieve1dream  – ( November 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM )  

She is such a cutie pie! It's so sad that she has physical limitations, because I bet she would love to compete. I'm glad you get some time with her before she goes back. I can't even imagine how hard all of this must be. Stay strong! Like you said she will easily find a great home so don't stress over that part. :)

How Sam Sees It  – ( November 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM )  

I've been a little torn with your decision. I've had two pups now that were candidates to be returned but I made the decision to keep them. Both turned out to be the best dogs I could have - one was my beloved Sam. I understand why you are doing it and I hope your breeder will give you an update on Pyra's new family? I'd love to know how she is.

Monty and Harlow

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( November 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM )  

Vito never misses the puppies! Lance doesn't really either, but he's always happy when a new little puppy comes home to play with.

Oh if I wasn't 100% in love with doing dog sports, even if the dog doesn't ever compete, I would have kept her in a heart beat!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"