Fronts and Finishes

Ugh.  Vito is doing great in most of his obedience work but one thing (well 2 things) we're struggling on right now are fronts and finishes.  Vito usually does them with great pizazz and even is in a nice straight position most of the time.  However he also steps on my foot/feet a lot.  On fronts, no matter how close or far away he is, Vito happily runs in and slams into his sit but not before quickly using my feet as a springboard.  His left finish is extra cute as he plants his left foot on top of my shoe and keeps it there as he does a lovely swing into heel.  It actually looks quite spectacular.  To those not into the competitive obedience world it may not seem that big of a deal, but each foot touch is 1 pt off and it adds up!  In Novice that would only be 2pts, but Open would be 8pts and Utility 13pts!

*sigh.*  I know it's my fault.  I have rewarded it thousands of times since I wasn't even aware he was doing it on the finish.  I honestly can't even feel his foot on mine and it's so quick as he pivots nicely into heel.  The fronts I am definetly aware of and that's the one place where I feel he's actually improving.  And then of course I have rewarded stepping on my feet in another context (Vito's "cop cop" trick).  But now I'm back to the drawing board.  I am now walking the fine line between only rewarding f&f's without stepping on my feet and not losing his great attitude.

Ninso  – ( December 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM )  

I feel your pain. Jun LOVES stepping on my feet. Not only in obedience, but just in regular life, she's usually glued to my leg, with her feet on one of my feet.

Achieve1dream  – ( December 20, 2009 at 8:34 AM )  

Wow, that's something I never would have even thought about! Makes me wonder if Jackal ever steps on my feet. Good luck getting it sorted out!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"