We have Stays!!! (and a Q!)

Obedience trial this weekend!  

Saturday:
Watch Saturday's video.

Heel Free/Figure 8: 2pts lost for forging, and a lag on the figure 8
This was an experiment for me.  I usually heel with my hand held at my waist.  Even though Lance is short and in no way will an arm being down interfere with his heeling, I feel like my hand being up is an extra cue for Lance that we are to heel, not just walk nicely.  But with the forging issues that we have I decided to try something different.  This past week I alternated heeling with my arm up and heeling with it swinging normally and Lance looked better with it down!  I know many will be saying "duh!" right now, but it just didn't occur to me before.  I know I probably shouldn't be trying something so new in the ring but I don't care!

I thought Lance did pretty well with the new look.  He forged right away in the beginning and I'm not sure if that was due to uncertainty of my arm being down, or his normal excited/distractedness of being in the ring.  After the first turn he settled in pretty well and didn't seem as bad.

Drop on Recall: 4pts for no sit
Lance dropped really nicely, but decided to skip the front.  It's possible I caused that from my head position.  I was looking at Lance when I called him and usually I then move my eyes/head down to look in front of me but I forgot to do that this time.  Instead I remembered a bit later and I think I made a really awkward movement.

Retrieve on Flat- 0pts lost
Good!

Retrieve over High- NQ
Drat.  Lance was enthusastic and it was going nicely until the dumbbell suddenly fell out of his mouth right before coming back over the jump.  If he hesitated it was only slightly so I'm not sure he even fully realized what happened.  He didn't drop it on purpose and he wasn't mouthing it so I don't know what happened.

Broad Jump- .5pt on front
Again Lance had a really crooked front.  He's been coming too far over the right and this is the one exercise I have him finish right so I am debating about having Lance do his left finish now.  Usually in practice I don't ever do a finish after the broad jump but I suppose he could have learned that I go right in trials.

Stays- 0 pts lots
He held his stays!!!  I am so so happy!  There was even a delay again after the sit stay as the little dog next to him decided to run off toward the exit.  While we waited for her to return and get set up I had Lance do his high fives and wave but he still seemed stress.  He wanted to leave but listened well.  But Lance was still down when I came back in!!!

Overall:
I'm very proud of the corgi!  I'm a bit bummed that we managed to pass the stays and happen to get a NQ on what I think is just a fluke with the dumbbell.

Sunday

 

Heel Free/ Figure 8- 3.5pts lost
I again heeled with my arm down.  But I think there was more forging today then yesterday, especially on the far wallI am very proud of his figure 8 though, I think it's the best one we have done to date.  The judge took off for both sits but I thought they looked fine.


Drop on Recall- .5pt
A tiny slower drop then yesterday but at least he came to front this time!  We lost the 1/2pt on the front.


Retrieve on the Flat- 2.5pts lost
I don't think I breathed for a second as Lance dropped the dumbbell.  But this time he immediately went to pick it up and deliver it to me.  I think today's drop was due to excitement and just not getting a good grip.


Retriever Over High -0 pts lost
Good!

Broad Jump- 1.pt lost
Lance was crooked again on the front but not as bad as yesterday.  I went with the left finish.  He also ticked the jump

Stays- 0pts lost
We do it again!!!  Before both stays Lance wasn't looking at me so I got a little worried.  He did at least turn his head to me as I told him to stay and I held my hand signal a 1/2sec longer to make sure he was paying attention.  But he stayed!!!!


Overall:
I am so relieved that we qualified (192)!!  We still have 1 Q to go but at least he held his stays two days in a row.  The dumbbell issues were kind of odd but I don't think I'm going to make anything of it, things happen.  I did get a talking to after the class by judge, prepare yourselves...

Ready?  Ok, the judge told me that having Lance do his tricks in between exercises is considered the dreaded "training in the ring."  I am giving Lance a command, hence the training.  Apparently asking for a down, sit, or even having the dog jump up to touch your hand is ok, but not rollovers.  He didn't take off any points this time but said that he could and other judges likely will.

I talked to my instructor after and she said that technically he is right.  The rules are very vague and the judge can interpret them to mean that tricks are training.  What I don't understand though is how can having the dog jump up (on cue) be fine but not a rollover (on cue)?  I don't think I'll change my routine.  Rollover is his favorite trick of all time and it serves as a good reward and release of tension.  If a judge wants to hit me for it then I'll take it.  I just won't be showing under him ever again.

Dexter  – ( March 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM )  

Hey! I think those judges are being pretty arbitrary. Besides, you need to do something fun after all that attention work.

Mango Momma

Kathie R  – ( March 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM )  

Congratulations on your Q! He is really looking good. Awesome attention!

Megan  – ( March 14, 2010 at 8:55 PM )  

Yay for you and Lancey-Pants! Your run was EXCELLENT!

WAHOO!

Crystal (Thompson) Barrera  – ( March 14, 2010 at 8:56 PM )  

Congrats!

How interesting about the hand up vs. down... I feel like I get better heeling out of Maisy when my hand is down, too. What is that about?

I'm with you- I don't understand why a rollover would be training in the ring.

Ninso  – ( March 15, 2010 at 9:56 AM )  

Way to go Lance! And I love the attitude about training in the ring. It sounds like an unreasonable position. Good for you for doing what's right for your dog!

Muttsandaklutz  – ( March 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM )  

Yeah!!! Way to go! Awesome, we all knew you guys could do it!

That's just ridiculous about the training in the ring thing. I mean, I could understand if they wanted to have a rule like that, but as you said it should apply to any "trick" done on cue, be it sit, roll over, or whatever. Sheesh! Heaven forbid a dog should look like he's really having fun in the obedience ring...?

Golden Samantha  – ( March 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM )  

Fabulous! Have not checked in to visit in a while, and sad that I haven't. Just spent about half an hour purusing through your videos! A week from Thurs. going to try for Sammie's third leg of Novice A. Have been working on Open skills, so was very interested in seeing your scores - you keep great records for green folk like me (and green doggie like Sammie!) which is a tremendous help! Congrats congrats - Lance is amazing and YOU must be a great, patient teacher! Good luck on upcoming shows!
Hugs xoxoxoxo
Sammie (and mom!)

Unknown  – ( March 18, 2010 at 7:53 AM )  

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I enjoyed that video so much! And I just LOVE Lance's rollovers - I actually didn't realise you were cueing them - I thought Lance was just doing little celebratory tricks on his own after each exercises - ha! ha! :lol:

I just love his focus and attention - (sigh) wish I had 10% of that with Honey! Oh, I don't have a problem with her positioning as such - she can Heel in the correct position fine but she never gives me that manic eye contact which looks so good in the ring - she might do it for a bit but then she goes back to being her normal chilled, cruisy self which I do love, of course, but it just doesn't look so good when you're doing formal Obedience or Canine Freestyle!

I can't believe that judge! It's crazy - there is no difference in the cues - it's not like you've got treats and clicker with you or something - training in the ring, my foot!!!

Anyway, congrats again - I keep thinking that I might actually try Honey in some Obedience trials - don't know how far we'd get with her cruisy attitude (not to mention crooked sits and more - Oh my God, don't get me started!) but she knows all the exercises so it seems a bit silly to waste it - might as well try...so it's very interesting for me watching this kind of stuff now that I'm thinking of actually doing it too! (Although the exercises for the same levels in NZ & Australia are v different from America).

Hsin-Yi

Achieve1dream  – ( April 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM )  

Wow great job Lance (and you too of course)!! I'm so proud he held the stays. I watched the first video several times and I don't know why he dropped the dumbbell either. Weird.

I don't understand the "training in the ring" thing. I've never even been to a CO event so know nothing about it, but I don't understand what's so bad about doing tricks between exercises. Besides how is it training if they already know it? Confused.

Anyway congrats on the Q and I'm glad he did so great.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"