Sticky Target pt 2

I was unhappy with the results of the last Go Click Challenge to train a sticky target so I decided to re work it. I still plan on training a nose bridge, but I thought it might be best to start over and first teach duration on something other then my fingers. It's what they've had more practice on and would be less frustrating for all.



I am very happy with the results! This was Lance's result in only 3 sessions,, and while Vito took another couple sessions they both understand the concept. As you can see in some of the footage Lance does a few bobs now and then which is left over from the 2 bops I started with in order to get the first little bit of "stickiness."

Arwen  – ( April 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM )  

Haha, I love Lance's little 'Look! I'm touching it! DO YOU SEE ME TOUCHING IT!?' shoves against the target :-)

Dexter  – ( April 11, 2010 at 7:55 AM )  

I like Vito's squirm on your back trick. That sticky target thing is cool. I need to try it on PeeWee. Maybe he will hold still for two seconds then.

Slobbers,
Mango

Unknown  – ( April 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM )  

Ooohh - they are both doing so great, I think! I love the look of 'concentration' on Lance's face as he holds his nose to the target - ha! ha!

Everyimte I come to visit you, you always inspire me to do something with Honey (just that you do so many more things with Lance & Vito and they learn so much faster that Honey can't keep up! Hee! Hee! It takes her like a month to learn a new trick, I think! :-) Anyway, we're really inspired to try this one now - as soon as we get around to it! Ha!

By the way, thank you for your lovely comment on our latest post. Yes, I'm so happy to have found this new obedience club - it's the nicest, friendlies place we've been to and it's the first time that I've actually felt like I might try some Obedience trials with Honey. I have always been put off (aside from the derogatory comments from people) because I thought she just doesn't have the precise enough straight Sits and Fronts and stuff like that to be able to do the trials - I watch you and Lance working and just shake my head in admiration! I think it's partly my own fault though - I can probably train Honey to be more precise but I guess that sort of pedantic details is not so important to ME - as long as she sits reliably in roughly the right position - and I'd rather spend my time training things that are either more important (IMO) or more fun! :-)

The club uses a combination of positive and more traditional training methods - which is exactly how I train, actually. I am not actually a 'purely' positive trainer - I train primarily positively (and 100% when I'm teaching with clicker, etc) but once Honey understands what she is meant to do in certain situations (ie. she is disobeying as opposed to confused), I do sometimes use verbal reprimands and on very rare occasions, corrections with the check chain for 'everyday manners' type things which I consider might be dangerous and just unacceptable (but not for tricks or dancing type stuff). The thing with an effective, properly timed correction, though, is that you shouldn't have to do it again - so I find that with Honey - nowadays I mostly just have to use verbal reprimands or "warnings" to get her to adjust her behaviour if she is acting up...but otherwise, it's mostly just praising & rewarding her for doing the right thing. :-)

I can't believe you wanted to watch our routine again! Part of the reason I didn't upload the half we had was because I thought everyone must be heartily sick & bored of that routine!! :-) Am working on a new one but with Honey, everything takes a looooooooong time! :-)

Hsin-Yi

Megan  – ( April 11, 2010 at 9:46 PM )  

Excellent progress with them. Thanks for the reminder about utilizing two nose touches to build the duration... I was stuck for a while and that makes a lot of sense.

Lance and Vito are so talented! Love, love their enthusiasm for everything.

Muttsandaklutz  – ( April 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM )  

I too am inspired to go and train something fun with my dogs. Love that sticky target -- and Lance's squats, so cute!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"