June Training Plans

May's Progress
1.  Scent work- I wanted to continue doing scent articles almost daily, get Lance up to the full 12 articles, and start Vito on leather.  Well check, check, and check!  I was a very good girl and did this boring (for me) exercise practically every training session.  Lance got up to the full pile fairly easily although I am still sitting on the floor very close to the pile.  Vito also is doing leather with no problem and now works a mixture of metal and leather about 6 articles.  However I haven't done any scent work the last week since Lance has a cracked tooth and has started to avoid the metal articles.  He is having surgery soon so I will hold off on any more retrieving work until then.

2. Tricks- I wanted to finish up some of the tricks I start and never finish.  Vito's goal was limping on his front right and Lance's goal was marching in heel and "up" in heel.  Apparently I forgot what Lance's goal was since I have mainly been working him on limping with his front right paw, he already knew it with his left.  I thought it would be easy to get the other leg but apparently Lance couldn't generalize at all and we had to start completley from scratch and work through every little step.  But he's getting it!  Lance will limp on his other leg for 2 steps now.  Vito is also doing really well with his limping and will go for 4 steps.  In typical Vito fashion this is done with complete spazzing!  His technique is getting more normal looking each day, but it's still hilarious!  I also resumed a tiny bit of work on Vito's "penguin" trick and Lance offered an odd variation one day on it so he's had  2 sessions of backing up in beg.


3. Train outside- Kind've done.  The weather has been either really hot or rainy so it's been more difficult then expected.  But I did start working on Vito turning after his running "board" and Lance working on driving into his 4 on the floor regardless of my position.  I didn't get to any of the freestyle routine outside, but I did practice Lance's routine indoors at least :)

4.  Obedience run through with Vito- First fail.  But I did go to our first agility trial :)

June Goals
Gosh with little Chuck here most of my training time is going to be going to him.  I don't want to ignore the boys, but until I don't have to have my eye on the puppy every second I'm not sure how to manage training the other dogs.  My first priority with Chuck is to get him to respect the other dog's food dishes and to give me some distance when I have kibble for the others.  So while I will be giving Lance and Vito plenty of loving and playtime, I think training is going to be on hold for this month other then their normal classes and some very short sessions every now and then.

Lauren  – ( May 31, 2010 at 10:18 PM )  

That video is adorable! Now I want to teach Frodo to limp!

Unknown  – ( May 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM )  

Hey - cool flooring you've got! (Sorry that was totally unrelated to dogs! Heee! hee!)

Very cute limping trick - I've thought of teaching that to Honey but then wondered if it was fair given how big & heavy she is - and she is very top heavy (deep chest, big head, narrow hips) so her front feet are actually bigger and take more weight than the back ones...I guess I'm also always weighing up if a move looks good in a dance, otherwise it's a waste to teach it coz Honey can only hold so much in her brain! :-)

Hsin-Yi

Dexter  – ( June 1, 2010 at 4:45 AM )  

I am sure the boys will understand. NOT! Puppies! Ish! Always in your face and foodables.

Slobbers,
Mango

P.S. Most amazing movie as always. Such clever and enthusiastic chaps.

kristi.w.  – ( June 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM )  

Rob wanted me to ask what will happen with Chuck when you are done raising/training him. I think he is in love with the little guy. :)

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( June 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM )  

When Chuck is 1.5-2yrs old he will graduate from puppy raiser status to go "in for training." At that stage he will go into the facility and live in the kennels for his final training while we give him more advanced training, fix up training holes , what his personality is, and try to match him up with the right client. This "in for training" lasts from 2-6 months. Then when he is ready, he will begin training with his client.

Since I am the trainer in charge of the dogs "in for training" Chuck may very will skip that middle step and go straight from being with me to working with his client.

Flo de Sendai  – ( June 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM )  

Hello hello, Lance is very cute !
The 1st dog of my life is also a Welsh Corgi Pembroke, and I did obediance and agility with her !

Best regards from Flo, Nana, and Uyanga, in Japan.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"