Vito becomes a MN Disc Dog member!

Today we went to a fun match hosted by MN Disc Dog!  It was freezing cold even when outfitted with my winter jacket, hat, and mittens, but was totally worth it!

At first I was really worried and wondered what the hell I had gotten myself into.  We pull up at the park and it turns out there is a small lake right there.  As soon as he spots the body of water Vito starts shrieking at the top of his lungs and I am immediately brought back to last summer's adventures.  Adam and I switch dogs so that mommy gets the out of control toller and he gets the pulling corgi.  And then I am shown how wrong I was in that previously Vito could not have been shrieking at the top of his lungs since he is now even LOUDER once he spots the playing field with discs flying everywhere!  Friend Tania spots us, I guess no one could miss us, and walks all the way across the field to register us for the match.

On the hugely positive side Vito was still listening to my cues!  He sat for me each time I asked and even lied down despite still shaking uncontrollably.  And guys, he was even taking treats and swallowing them too!  Once the crate was set up we covered him completely and it didn't take long for him to quiet down.  By the end of the day I even was able to walk Vito by the field without him losing it, of course feeding him tons of treats to keep his attention.  He was a very good boy!

As for the actual disc portion he also did really well.  Vito screamed on the way out to the field, was willing to tug on the disc, dropped it when I asked, and remained very focused on his task.  When I threw somewhat decent he even managed to catch!  He got to play twice with me and once with daddy.  I am actually amazed at how well he did since this is the first time we have practiced in an open field. So far all our playing has been in the small backyard which really doesn't allow for much with all the crap in the way.



I look forward to learning more about this awesome dog sport!

Lindsay  – ( May 8, 2010 at 11:31 PM )  

Nice job Vito!! He looks like a natural!

Muttsandaklutz  – ( May 9, 2010 at 4:56 PM )  

Oh, cool!! Sounds like Vito had a blast and handled the environment really well too. I had the "joy" of hearing toller screams at a recent flyball tournament and can imagine what Vito's must sound like. Hehehe.

Dexter  – ( May 10, 2010 at 6:54 AM )  

Gosh, sorry we didn't get to hear the screaming! Ha! Vito is quite the athlete there. Some very tricky moves to catch the flying disk. And mom throws very well. Not a spaz like mine.

Slobbers,
Mango

Ninso  – ( May 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM )  

It was great to see you guys Saturday! You guys did an awesome job!

Cristina  – ( May 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM )  

Vito looks so happy! What a fun sport to share with him. I'm gonna have to try the disc on the Corgis. =)

Achieve1dream  – ( July 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM )  

My bad, I'm actually too months behind. Sheesh. That looks like a lot of fun! Wish one of my dogs were talented enough to catch one. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"