Scent Articles update

I've been a good girl the last two weeks and have been doing scent articles with Lance and Vito almost every day!  I'm also really happy to say that my determination has been paying off and Lance is getting much more confident about the exercise.  Previously he would do very well with finding my dumbbell on every send but the first one.  That first send Lance would run out, sniff the right one and look like he's going to grab it, but then hesitate and work the rest of the pile.  Almost always he would would stop and look at me.   Usually I smile and don't say anything and then Lance goes back to work.  Sometimes he would eventually bring me back the right one but othertimes he would pick it up and drop it several times.  This was only on the very first article, any sends after that would be nice and snappy.  He would even do this if I had only a few articles out.

But that is all written in the past tense as I have seemed to stumble on an easy fix!! I had always started with the metal dumbbell as that is what we first used when learning the scent work and I figured I should get the harder one out of the way.  By simply switching to leather first Lance is much more confident and doing great!  He then has no problem by the time I get to metal.  I usually do a few of the leather before I switch so I have yet to see if Lance could do metal on the 2nd send.  I am very psyched about his performance though and see ourselves one tiny step closer to being ready for utility.

Dexter  – ( September 15, 2010 at 4:39 AM )  

Always nice when you have a breakthrough. Sounds like Lance has caught on to the game. He will love utility. Can't wait to see your first competition.

Mango Momma

Cynthia  – ( October 18, 2010 at 5:19 PM )  

Very cool. :) I'm looking to find a nice set of articles for my small dog who is about 20 pounds... where did you get yours?

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 18, 2010 at 6:55 PM )  

I ordered my articles from J&J Dogs http://www.jjdog.com

My dumbbell is from Max 200 and I love it, but the articles are more expensive
http://www.max200.com/

I also know a lot of people who use canning rings and leather baby shoes as cheap alternatives.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"