Lance Advanced Teamwork trial

Now the recap I've been dying to tell!
On Sunday after just completing the group stays I rushed over with the corgi to see the Advanced Teamwork ring.  Exercises were to be: heeling, glove seek back, moving down, and send away.
Whew, no object placement exercise, but the send away one worried me!  We convinced the nice judge to help us out by using some white tape to make the box instead of the barely visible blue tape he had down.  Thank you!  (Video is at the end!)

Heeling was first and Lance seemed to be more pumped on his 3rd time in the ring, 4th if you count going back for stays.  He had some forging in the beginning, a silly no sit until told, and then I could tell he got visibly excited as he saw we were going to the box!

The glove seek back was next.  More heeling!  Our halt was at a corner of the ring and Lance was certain that when I sent him out to find the glove that he was supposed to run to his box instead!  Very confused corgi danced around in the box a little, and then even touched the ring gate.  Then he suddenly saw the glove and sprinted towards it very proudly!  A little too proud maybe as he flung it in the air :)

And more heeling followed for the moving down.  Normally one of Lance's favorite thing to practice!  He seemed a bit unsure of in the ring and I ended up dropping my shoulder and looking back at him as I left.  He watched me do some heeling on my own and then was certain that when I was finally allowed to call him to come join me that it was a trick.  A second command and he was happy to join me!

Position changes followed.  Leaving the dog in the stand for stand-down-sit-stand-sit-down-stand.
I was worried that Lance would see the stand-down-sit as the utility exercise and sprint towards me on the stand cue.  He didn't, but must have been thinking hard as his butt rose a tiny bit on the stand cue but ultimately needed a quick second command to get it.  No problems with the down to stand!  On my return he must have thought I was resetting him as he walked towards me and curled around.

And the best for last!  For the send away we started in the right corner, so dog on outside.  I was somewhat relieved as I knew Lance would be a tiny bit less likely to just go to the side wall when I sent him instead of going across the ring.  But Lance locked onto the cone and sent out beautifully!  I was also happy that both positions the judge picked were a sit.  Keeping it simple for us!  For the box send, Lance didn't hesitate at all.  He went flying across the ring to pounce in the box and then wanted to keep going to come back to me.  He did sit when I told him to, just not in the box!

Overall I am extremely thrilled with how Lance did in this class.  Despite not being fully prepared on the exercises, he remained happy and confident.  It was very entertaining and at least 3 people I talked to afterwards said that they would be interested in doing it if we offered the class again next year!

Fun video!

Merinda  – ( October 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM )  

Lance looked great! He's a crowd favorite, isn't he? :)
I just started a new class with a new trainer & I'm excited - she has taken seminars & classes with Denise Fenzi. We're using the clicker, no nylon chokes, etc. Hopefully my corgis will someday learn some competition obedience! :)

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM )  

Thank you! He loves entertaining the crowd :)
I love Denise Fenzi. You should look into her online classes too!

Sam  – ( October 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM )  

Lance is such a cutey! He looked like he was having such a great time there.

Denise Fenzi courses are great (thats how I found your blog - I did problem solving at bronze level), everyone should be doing them :-)

Muttsandaklutz  – ( October 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM )  

Ahhh, way cool! Loved the glove fling and the happy sprinting! And the distance stand commands -- super!! My guys can sort of do distance sits-to-downs or vice versa, but a distance stand? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Congrats :)

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM )  

You should train the stand!
I started with front feet on a perch, but 4 feet on a platform would work too. That way he wasn't walking at all, and the bonus that stand is his default on a perch. Built distance gradually.

Muttsandaklutz  – ( October 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM )  

What a great way to teach it! Think I will add that to the list of things to do for fun at home on all the cold winter days coming up. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"