Vito Update

I suppose Vito is back to "normal" from our scrambling in July.  He resumed going to work with me and after some initial worked up days Vito seems to have settled back into the routine.  Overall fairly calm at work again minus his usual difficult times and difficult events of the day.

As expected, Vito's car anxiety has also started to creep back up.  Initially going back on Clorazepate was helpful, but now Vito thinks morning car rides are panic worthy and evening car rides are ok.  So this week I've decided to increase his Clorazepate to his old dose, up to 11mg.

Interestingly his separation anxiety seems to have lessened a bit.  Not so much that he can actually be left home alone of course.  But I have actually been able to leave him inside the house while I go outside with Zumi to train.  Small victories.


Sadly Vito is back one exercise restriction, again.  It's been 2 months since he was doing some yelping and light limping at an agility/obedience trial.  For 3 weeks he was on restriction although he was only sore for 3 days.  Then lifted after a rehab appointment.  Fine for 2 weeks, then 1 more little yelp at home.  More restriction and started Vito on Doxy since he was positive for a tick diseases this spring.  Hadn't show any signs so didn't do treatment earlier.  But thought it was worth ruling out a tick disease.  Almost 2 weeks of lifted restriction and Vito yelped again last week, one time.  Seems absolutely fine since. 
But now I'll likely have to do some laser therapy and go from there.  It sucks that Vito really hasn't been allowed to do much almost all summer, minus a few weekends of fun visiting parks.  Certainly no trials and agility practice all summer.  Fingers are crossed we are able to figure out his issue and just a longer period of simple rest is all that is needed.

Achieve1dream  – ( October 26, 2015 at 12:45 PM )  

I'm glad you went ahead and did the Doxy. I hope it helped. I think I've told you the story about Storm's limp that went away with Doxy. Unfortunately Jackal's didn't turn out to be the same thing. :( I think he has arthritis... probably from the weight. I sometimes wish I'd never moved back here... or I wish they'd never fed him all the cat food or that I had noticed sooner or whatever. Oh well, can't take things back so I'll just deal with it. Fingers crossed his thyroid meds help.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 26, 2015 at 1:58 PM )  

sadly the doxy didn't help, but more laser therapy and strict rest did!
You will get Jackal's weight off. It just takes time. And I hope the thyroid meds help!

Achieve1dream  – ( October 26, 2015 at 4:31 PM )  

Thank you. He just got his thyroid levels rechecked today and they said he's good. So he will stay on this dosage for a while. She said I should start to see a difference in four to six months. I hope sooner rather than later. I know it's unhealthy for them to lose weight too fast, but it kills me knowing what being overweight is doing to his body. All I can do is keep exercising him (within his limits) and keep giving him his meds and hope that it works. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"