Owwie

Poor Vito had an accident this morning. I was setting up open ring time before going into work this morning and was having Vito do the dogwalk.  But Vito loaded badly and fell as he reached the top, some how scraping himself on the way down.  Major hysteria and screaming ensued until I actually picked him up and hugged him to me. 
 Needless to say I packed up my things, left a note on the door, and rushed off to the nearest clinic.  I also have to give Vito props for doing an amazing down stay when I shoveled the other 2 dogs in the car and got ready to carry him.

I think Vito went into shock as he was SUPER relaxed while waiting at the vet's office.  I admit it was nice having my neurotic dog so calm especially when we had to wait for an hour.

They partially sedated him for the stitches and I asked for the drugs to be given in the exam room with me holding him.  The injection was done just fine but 30sec later Vito started screaming just as bad as when the accident happened!  When he finally stopped in what felt like an eternity, the vet poked in and apologized for not warning me that with anxious dogs they often react strongly to feeling the drug!
All stitched up!
 Unfortunately Vito did not have a good rest of the day.  I carried him into work with me and tried to set him up with his favorite person there.  But Vito would not lie down and just kept crying :(  Even when I could be with him he was only happy if I sat on the ground with him and let him snuggle into me.  I ended up loading up the boys and leaving work early just so I could set him up at home.  He was very greatful and has been passed out on the bed next to me ever since.

I'm not sure how long he will be on restriction for.  The vet didn't think anything was broken but she had to remove some tissue that was already starting to bruise and die.  With the location of the wound he doesn't want to put much weight on the leg right now.  We will just wait and see.

Raegan  – ( September 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM )  

Poor guy just can't catch a break. :( Feel better, Vito!

Dizzy  – ( September 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM )  

Poor Vito! Poor Laura! Hope he heals fast!

Dexter  – ( September 19, 2012 at 4:47 AM )  

Oh Vito! These things happen, but I am sure the other patients at the vet thought somebody was pulling out your toes with all that screaming.

Here's to hoping the little guy can take it easy and heal up quickly.

Mango Momma

Ninso  – ( September 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM )  

Aw, that sucks! Hope he heals up quickly, poor guy.

Loretta Mueller  – ( September 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM )  

Oh Poor Vito :-(( OUCH!!!!!!!! Prayers for healing!

Anonymous  –   – ( September 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM )  

Poor baby :( Get well soon!

andrea  – ( September 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM )  

OH NO!!! where on his leg is it? hard to tell in the picture ...Im so sorry - who knew dog walks were such dangerous things :(

Unknown  – ( September 27, 2012 at 7:02 AM )  

Ooooh, that looks nasty!! :-(

Poor Vito - sounds like a really traumatic day all round! I'm only catching up on your posts now so I hope by the time you get this comment, he will be recovering and healing well! :-)

Hsin-Yi

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"