Disc Dog Foundations!

Today Zumi had her first real introduction to the sport of disc dog!  Zumi has been playing with our general yard fetch toys including Chuck Its foamy frisbee and I have thrown a few rollers for her over the winter.  But today I brought out real plastic discs for the first time!  Initially Zumi was disappointed and, while excited to play with me, she didn't understand that this hard material was an actual toy.  It didn't take too long though to get her to bite it and then to start tugging on it with me.

After awhile we practiced switching back and forth between 2 discs while tugging and then I eventually tried cuing her to bite a disc in my hand as she was running back with the first one.  Much harder!  But being able to easily drop a disc and switch to another one is a very important part of the sport.

At the end of our little 5min session I also introduced some very low takes in the air.  Zumi thought those were fun :)  And also did a few disc lures of left and right spins.

Mission accomplished!
- Bite and tug plastic frisbees
- Rollers!
- Switching discs while tugging
- Switching discs while running back to me
- Baby takes
- Luring with the disc for spins

Next on the agenda is continued work on the above plus adding in the start of around and behind for learning to circle around behind me before a little roller.

Achieve1dream  – ( June 15, 2015 at 3:13 PM )  

Awesome!! I would love it if she could be a disc dog! I love watching them!! Are there places where you could compete her in disc dog competitions in your area? When she's older obviously. I can't wait!

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( June 15, 2015 at 6:30 PM )  

Yes I was a member of the MN Disc Dog Club with Vito before I had to retire him early due to his stupidness/unsafeness with discs. I'm hoping next summer I'll take her out and she will get to compete! I suck at throwing and am not good at all with routines, but I do love the sport!

Achieve1dream  – ( June 15, 2015 at 6:41 PM )  

That sounds so fun! Don't feel bad. I'm no good at throwing and I suck at routines (did one freestyle - dancing not disc - and it sucked). Your roller was awesome! :D

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"