Rally at Land O' Lakes Dog Show!

Lance entered Rally Excellent today at the big dog show.  I have stopped by the show in the past to see all the conformation dogs and great vendors, but have not competed there.  I decided that this would not be a good show to do actual obedience in, way too many distractions for little Lance, but rally might be ok.




Well his score was good, a 99, but this was not Lance's best performance.  Lance was just charging to go and really did not want to heel.  He wasn't sniffy and didn't seem distracted by the crowd or anything, but Lance was really wanting to move fast and did not appreciate being reigned in!  Right off the bat Lance sprinted off the line when I took my first step (actually video evidence shows that he left on the what I think was my mouth just starting to open!) and since the moving stand exercise was 3 steps from the start that put us in trouble.  I immediately took a step back and got Lance into position before going forward to the sign and having him hold his stand.  I think the judge could have technically taken 3pts off for this first exercise since I kind've redid it, but she only took 1pt off.  I asked her about it after the awards and she said that I did it so fast and it was before I started the moving stand exercise that she felt it was more an out of position then a redo.  Nice judge :)

On both jumps and after the fast time he needed a stern "Lance!" to reel him back in.  He was just nuts and was totally forging the entire time.  I don't know what got into the little corgi but I'm thinking I need to change my warmup for him.  I'm still used to the Lance lagging when he gets distracted so I tend to focus on more active exercises and getting his body moving when maybe Lance now needs some calming focus exercises. 

Well this was our third leg so now Lance has his Rally Excellent title!  I'm still not sure if I will go for his RAE but I am now offically registered for APDT Rallly and will enter the trial in February if I'm not working.

Oh, and I also got to see Vito's littermate at the trial!  We ended up crating right next to Henry who had his debut in Rally Novice today!  Henry did very well too!  I was sad to see how small Vito was next to Henry.  Vito clocks in at a petite 29.5lbs with no meat on him at all and Henry is 45lbs looking like a proper toller.  It was cute to see how much their faces look alike though!

Kathie R  – ( January 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM )  

Congratulations on the RE title! Great attention. I thought his pivots and the 270 turns were especially awesome.

Megan  – ( January 9, 2010 at 11:26 PM )  

You are BRAVE to show at Land O'Lakes. I did for quite a few years and didn't go last year, or this. Lance did an excellent job, considering everything else going on!

He was working with you, maybe not perfectly, but he was definitely playing your game (ok, so maybe he bent the rules on heel position a bit...)!

Congrats on your RE! Bailey and I work on her RAE when I feel like it, so about twice a year... hah.

Muttsandaklutz  – ( January 10, 2010 at 12:04 AM )  

Nice run!! Congrats on Lance's new title! I loved his pivots and turns too, really sharp.

Dexter  – ( January 10, 2010 at 5:36 AM )  

Love the tongue action on the stand and watching your little bottom go up down up down on the stand / sit. I can understand wanting to go fast, but you were great in going at that boring competition pace.

Kisses,
Dexter

Crystal (Thompson) Barrera  – ( January 10, 2010 at 12:52 PM )  

Congratulations! Lance was zoomy, but his halt-pivot left-halt and 270 left was REALLY nice.

I watched some Utility yesterday afternoon, and it was pretty dead- not a ton of spectators. Was it busier in the morning?

I hope I'll see you at the MMBC APDT trial in February. I love APDT. :)

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( January 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM )  

no it wasn't that busy in the morning either. after we went I went walking around with the dogs and when we returned to collect our stuff, there was shockingly a fairly large crowd watching the novice rally!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥  – ( January 10, 2010 at 4:42 PM )  

We don't know much about rally at all, but that performance looked great to us.


Woos, Phantom and Thunder

Achieve1dream  – ( January 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM )  

Don't you hate when you get a routine going and then they require you to change it? They sure like to keep us on our toes. When is your next trial? Let us know how the calming workout goes compared to the revving up. Good job Lance!

Oh and does the breeder think Vito will catch up in growth or is he going to stay small? Maybe he's a late bloomer?

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( January 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM )  

well the breeder hasn't seen Vito since he left. she usually is at this last trial doing conformation but there's a new litter of puppies so they didn't come this year. but in emails she's remarked on how small Vito has been for each age mark. although she also said that Vad (his dad) puppies are slow to grow...

Dawn  – ( January 11, 2010 at 7:38 AM )  

Hey that was lovely. I dream of a run so lovely. Congratulations.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"