MN Disc Dog State Championships!

The boys and I drove down on Saturday for the final disc dog competition of the year.  It was a two day event so we decided to camp out!


Saturday Vito competed in catch-22 with both me and Adam, and also did his first novice freestyle routine!  Vito needs to learn how to conserve energy as he always flings his body into the air to try and catch when he could just wait a second longer and actually catch the damn disc much easier.  He looks like a complete spazz and we have a lot of misses.  At least Vito is very much enjoying himself out there!


During freestyle Vito actually did quite well and caught most of them.  I on the other hand was not planning on entering so didn't have any routine planned or even a sequence.  I took 4 discs on the field which is double the amount I had ever practiced with at one time.  I clearly remember thinking at one point, "huh, I'm all out of discs, now what?" and then quickly realizing I had to move and collect some of them again!  While I really felt I wasn't ready at all to enter freestyle, I learned a lot from that 1minute and feel much more confident now.  I need to remember to do some of the few simple tricks he can do when the disc is out such as spins and turns and weaving.  And of course remembering to move while he is running out to catch and gather some discs would be good too.




Sunday was a longshot, a distance competition and then 15sec freestyle.  Vito actually started out really well for me and was catching my throws instead of just bouncing them off his nose!  We made it to the 4th round at 25yds before getting our last strike and eliminated.  15 second freestyle was both a wreck and a huge highlight.  On the positive side, Vito did his first complete backward circle with the disc being out!  He got sick of waiting for me to throw and offered more then one of them!!!  Then he actually tried to do his backward weaving, was half way successful and threw in another offered circle and caught his flip throw!  Then I had no clue what to do, panicked at still having time left and bumbled for the last few seconds.

Pepper  – ( September 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM )  

Whoa, the screaming Toller is super excited! Love the giggles from the sidelines. Looks like heaps of fun.

Ninso  – ( September 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM )  

I love that pic of you and Vito, and also the pic of Lance in your post above! Congrats on your first freestyle!

Muttsandaklutz  – ( September 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM )  

Very cool! Way to go Vito! That screaming is hilarious :)

Dexter  – ( September 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM )  

Well, it is nice to see the little guy so enthusiastic, right? And of course he should get some points for providing his own musical background.

Slobbers,
Mango

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"