Naughty Pants

For once that title belongs to Mr. Corgi.  We have a serious problem with our contacts.  Had a trial today and Lance was first entered in Jackpot so while fooling around gathering points I did the Aframe twice.  Both times he gave me the finger with his 4 on the floor criteria.  Taking several strides after he hits ground so that he is more like 5ft from the aframe.  On the 2nd one I used my stern Mommy voice to remind him to "floor" which caused him to creep down, then launch off it, take several steps and then stand for a second before lying down.  His contacts have been getting worse and worse each trial but none as bad as today.

His next run was standard and I decided that if he blew me off again I would remove him from the course.  Well we didn't get very far as the aframe was the 3rd obstacle.  I have no idea what to do about it.  I don't think pulling a dog off course is very effective for the majority of dogs out there.  But Lance doesn't have this problem in class and it doesn't seem to be a stress issue as Lance looked extremely happy with himself each time he launched and ran forward; just not happy with me still standing slow and waiting for him to down.  I know it's not a physical problem as he sees a chiropractor on a regular basis now, just had his first massage 1 week ago and was given such a great evaluation that she doesn't want to seem him again!

I'm sorry Mommy!
Right now I am thinking I am going to stick to NADAC trials where I can re put him back on the contact if he blows it and maybe enter our first ASCA trial where I can do the same thing.  If he is successful I think I will happily run off course and give him a jackpot.  Tomorrow Lance is only entered in Fullhouse so since I can make up my own course I am thinking about plotting an easy course that ends with the aframe.  If he doesn't do it I'll send him back over, if he does I will quickly exit and party with him.

Amy / Layla the Malamute  – ( November 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM )  

Ugh! Sorry I don't have any advice. I think that taking him off the course would be a good option, as would be doing NADAC. Good luck with FullHouse tomorrow, maybe he'll have gotten it all out of his system.

Kristine  – ( November 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM )  

You have such different courses in your associations than we do here in Nova Scotia. It's interesting. I'm sorry your first day didn't go as well as planned and I hope today was a lot less stressful. Good luck with all your future plans!

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( November 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM )  

Kristine- I only compete in 2 venues: the "just for fun" venue and the "just RUN" venue with fast flowly courses. Both are frowned upon by serious competitors :P But yes the typical north american course is pretty different from the rest of the world.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"