Oh USDAA

I didn't think it was possible for USDAA to piss off more people with their new jump height announcements than if they just announced there would be no changes.  Well done, USDAA, well done.

Seriously, how complicated do we need to make things.  8 different jump heights?  One of the heights with only 1.5in range of dogs?!

Way to piss off not only all the small dog people, but all the big dog people, and all of the performance people too.

Oh, and obviously when people were hoping for a position less table, or even no table at all, USDAA knew that deep down we were actually crossing our fingers for MORE tables!!  Too bad they didn't take it further and develop Ultimate Table-ers!

Sorry Lance.  I knew that Vito wouldn't be effected by any changes, and was ok with that.  But I was really hoping to bring out the Corgi in USDAA next year.  AKC, CPE, and NADAC must be thrilled that they get to keep all the small dogs!

Karissa  – ( August 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM )  

I considered doing a post on this but I'm lazy, so I'll just say "ditto." :o)

I'm so disappointed that I will continue to be unable to play USDAA with Kaiser. In every single other organization out there he is able to jump 8" via their lowered height program (Preferred/Skilled, etc) -- Even UKI. It's a shame that USDAA doesn't want to capitalize on the small dog crowd. It's been shocking for me to see how many entries there are in the 4/8/12 classes at AKC!

This is causing me to rethink my future with USDAA, at least for now. Luke has been playing in Veteran classes so that Secret doesn't have to be solo, but there is no real "point" to entering those classes and I'm not sure how much longer I'll feel like jumping him at 16" anyhow considering I'm looking at cutting him back from trialing.

Quite frankly, Kaiser is my most fun to run dog and now that he's height-carded in AKC and can jump 8", I'm guessing we'll just do more AKC. It's more readily available in this area than USDAA and Secret seems to really enjoy it, too, so it's probably just a better option all around.

Not to mention then I don't have to stress over those stupid SQ. ;o) Maybe we'll continue to throw in the random trial as it fits in my schedule to continue working towards her PDCH, but I'm not going to make it a priority. Too bad, I really enjoy the games and courses in USDAA.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( August 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM )  

Well for me it's not dissuading me from doing USDAA with Vito since I think he has a nice frame to jump 22 (he's 19in). Also performance is still a nice option for him at 16 and I have no negative feelings about doing that whenever I feel it's time.

It just still sucks for all the dogs like Kaiser where even their performance height isn't really a low height for them. When the time comes for those P dogs to jump lower for whatever reason, where do they have to go? I don't think the Veterans program is a good setup currently and many people who want to jump their dogs that height aren't eligible yet. If they had a 10 or 8in championship, then I would love to jump Lance at 4 or 6in performance!

I can't see myself ever doing AKC agility, purely for the insanely high price per run, the emphasis on QQs, and the lack of games. But props to those who enjoy it! there's certainly lots of opportunity in this area, and tons of small dog competition!

Karissa  – ( August 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM )  

For the record, I have said the same thing since I started agility (that I would never do AKC) for the same reasons as you (plus the fact that I'm just not a fan of the organization in general...) -- I'm still a little surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. I thought having only two runs per dog per day would be the worst thing ever, but it's actually kind of nice. Now if only my two weren't on the opposite ends of the height spectrum I might actually have the chance for a short agility day. lol Oh well, lots of time to earn vouchers...

I just don't like running only one dog per day. It's hard on me for some reason, which is silly. Plus the more dogs you run, the higher the odds of actually getting a Q, right? ;o)

I figure the cost per run isn't really any worse than entering a Tournament class + a regular class at a USDAA trial. Most trials around here run $34-36 for both runs in a day. I don't know if anyone even offers FAST anymore... But there is T2B to give you the thrill of Steeplechase. Maybe we'll try it one day, but since it doesn't go towards any real title I don't know that I'll spend my money on it unless I get bored (kind of like Hoopers! haha).

Elayne  – ( August 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM )  

USDAA should do seminars on how to lose friends and alienate people. They have truly got it down to an art. I so wish we had UKI in my area.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"