Zumi 12 Month Video

Zumi has a 12 month video!  Love this girl.

Ximena  – ( October 11, 2015 at 2:30 AM )  

Aww! Happy birthday little lady! She's beautiful and so talented! I just started teaching Riko to hug an object - Zumi's is much further along with the duration (did you use reverse luring?)!

I LOVE her RDW. So impressive! I've been told that Riko shouldn't attempt a running contact because he's too fast... but after seeing you guys, I really think it's possible! It may also be that my instructor just has *never* done it. You're so lucky to have such a beautiful backyard and all that equipment! If only, if only.

I went back to see how you've been rewarding her RDW, super interesting stuff. I really am so not familiar with this whole world of agility thing and I have been discouraged for using a toy to teach it because he'll go slower for food. Of course I'd be attempting a RDW with my first high drive dog, right? haha.

Anyway, it's so great to see how far you guys have come! You two are perfect for each other. :)

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM )  

Thank you! I just love her!
I did a little bit of RL with her on the object hug but not a ton. She got the concept of duration while in a sit and working with just a 1 paw hug. Clicking the wrapping around the object and continuous rewards until it fell. In a beg position has been very hard for Zumi and only recently did I stop letting her lean up against my legs for support!

Speed has absoulutely no factor on getting a RDW! Actually in some ways the driveir the dog is, the easier it is to teach as you know their running style is going to be in full extension all the time.
My guess is your instructor is not familiar with teaching running contacts (and most people are not), and instead haas maybe just done "moving" aka "non-stopped" contacts. A huge difference! In a true running contact the dog should not slow down at the end in order to hit. They make their adjustments to hit on the middle plank and fully extend down. While there are some variations in whether teaching it with a toy or with a manners minder, I like the toy. The toy puts the dog in full drive and I know I don't have to worry about the dog slowing down in practice in order to hit when they're not going to do that in a trial with the added adrenaline.

If you're serious about running contacts and willing to be obsessive and video tape lots, you should get Silvia Trkman's dvd on the subject. Breaks it down very nicely! She also has an online class on running contacts starting in December.
I taught Vito's without any equipment of my own, just a plank. But i can see where Zumi is way more at an advantage as (besides learning things I screwed up with Vito), the full dogwalk access and gradually raising the entire thing has really taught her how to adjust her stride from a variety of starting points. I can't believe Vito learned the way he did with just raising a single plank up in height and not having the different approaches.
Zumi's isn't done yet, but her understanding is awesome!

Kristen  – ( October 13, 2015 at 7:27 AM )  

She is adorable and knows so, so many things! Favorite part was Vito's enthusiasm for standing on the log too and how Zumi kept trying to get back up.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"