Rattie Bonding

I've had the boys for over a month now.  Evee has been fully adjusted and living with them for awhile.  Splat really looks up to her and I'm pretty sure he brags that Evee is his cool older girlfriend.  Evee has a "just friends" look on her face though.


Splat is a funny dude. I imagine him as a cross country runner who is very obsessed with nutrition and fitness but still a really twiggy body.  He runs on the wheel a lot.  A lot.  And he will take maybe 1 treat from me, but then refuses and hops on his wheel in regret of the snack he did consume.

Spork pretty much just sleeps.  I swear there are days I never see him as he is naughty about burrowing under my cage liner no matter how hard I've tried to stop him.  I poke him to try and rouse him out sometimes but I can just feel him grumble and try to ignore me.  Spork does run on the wheel sometimes too, likely from Splat's guilt trips.  Mainly Spork just wants to eat and sleep.


I feel like a horrible rat mom often.  The boys are still awfully skittish of me.  I can't bribe Splat with food and Spork I can't even get to wake up to come see me.  They're really not coming out of their cage much at all as they're not brave enough to venture out and they don't want me to grab them.  I'm not sure what to do differently.  Penelope didn't take long at all to come out and explore- she was the naughtiest and bravest rat ever.  And Evee followed her like a good side kick.
Splat wants to follow Evee but will only follow her on top of the cage.

Amy / Layla the Malamute  – ( September 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM )  

Not a rat expert by any means, but were the boys together before they came to you? Were they older than Penelope? It just sounds like they have enough enrichment elsewhere they don't need to find it with you or out and about. Not a bad thing, they just know how to occupy themselves.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( September 24, 2016 at 5:43 PM )  

The boys are babies. I got them at 7wks? Not brothers, but a few days apart in age. I'm pretty sure I got Evee at the same age. Penelope was a stray when I got her so I have no idea how old she was but she was fully grown.

I agree that they think their cage is pretty darn cool! I'm just puzzled on how slow progress has been and I don't know how to make it better!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"