Vito on Diazepam

Vito has been taking Diazepam (Valium) for 2 weeks now to help with his car anxiety and general anxiety.  He is still taking Fluoxetine (Prozac) and Clonidine as well so Vito gets lots of cheese every day!

The changes in his car rides were very fast.  I even grabbed a dog bed and stuffed it between the seats to encourage him to lay his head down!


These pictures aren't a regular occurrence, but he is actually resting his head and sometimes even sleeping a handful of times.  I would say 75% of his car rides he has been taking treats and doing just light panting!  The other 25% of car rides he is at moderate panting although he has had a few more intense panic attacks as well.

Of course adding a new medication always comes with side effects.  I have definitely noticed that diazepam is in the same family as Xanax.  Like Xanax, it has increased his appetite a ton which is nice in some aspects but has also turned Vito into a more severe moocher and a poop eater.  And just like when he took Xanax, I'm noticing some of those zoned out moments where he looks stoned.  On the positive side, I don't think it's interfering with his ON switch as much.  Vito on Xanax was not at all excited for agility or playing with me.  Xanax Vito also would alternate between being very drunk and tipsy to it not having any effect at all.  Fingers are crossed that Valium Vito continues to get the positive side effects and no additional negatives.

K-Koira  – ( July 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM )  

Koira is on lorazepam for her car anxiety, but only takes it right before a long car ride or if we are going to do some training with her. It reduces the side effects because she doesn't have to be on it all the time.

Mango  – ( July 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM )  

We'll keep our fingers crossed for Valium Vito too. Poor little guy.

Mango Momma

Laura, Lance, and Vito  – ( July 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM )  

I wish Vito only needed to be on a a drug "as needed." But alas because of my jobs and his separation anxiety he needs to get in a car almost every single day for usually more than one trip.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Training: laurawaudby.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"