She must be one special puppy as Vito has secretly given her his paw of approval. He lets her cuddle with him without doing too much grumbling in protest. And he has even played with her a few times at work. In his awkward, creepy looking way of course.
Applause is also needed for Gracie passing the level one test at the service dog school. I believe Bubba was close to 5 months before he could manage the 30second stay and Gracie can almost double that time. Such an easy puppy! A sit and down for another person was difficult for her at first as she really cared where I was going. This is newly developing these last 2 weeks so I need to work on handing her off more!
Gracie is starting to become more spunky this week! A little more vocal in her playing, more crazy with her tugging, and she also had fun dragging the full water dish across the living room. She's very full of herself.
This week's learning:
1. Perch work- No luring needed! Working on maintaining position through pivots. She's also started to offer position without a perch and pivoting pretty nicely without the perch.
2. Shaped retrieves- I decided to skip my plan B and cheated by taking the easy route. Since Gracie transitions nicely between food rewards and tugging on a toy, I knew she would have no problem biting one of her toys. Some very minor steps in getting her to bite it for a click and cookie treat vs tugging with it, but I'm now starting to very the object presented and tried our very first non-toy object today.
3. Stays- Doing very well! I'm starting to add in my movement to the side of her in hopes that next week I can walk around behind without her moving her feet to face me. I also added in the concept of staying under a chair this week.
4. Go mat- apparently we need to revisit this more. She kinda lost criteria on downing as soon as she gets there, or that she needs to actually be on the mat in her down.
5. Other behaviors- Many more behaviors are getting on verbal onlys. When she's thinking we have mastered sit, down, spin right, weave through my legs, and sometimes rollover.
Almost 14wks and only 17.5lbs. I'm thinking she might be one of our teacup labradors like Fiona turned out; pocked sized!