A broken sit

So Lance's sit is broken.  Not his general cue to plant his butt, but his ability to line up straight without wrapping his damn butt behind my leg.  It's always been a little bit crooked now and then but the past month or so it has gotten a ton worse.  Now every single halt or finish he is terribly crooked.  My instructor thinks it may have started around the time he started going to the chiropractor.  Perhaps he was overcompensating before and now doesn't know how to sit straight that he feel better???  I'm not sure, I think I've focused way too much on pivoting to my left and focusing on that hind end awareness that he is adjusting too far now.

My prescription is to do lots of 1-3 steps of heeling and halt.  Lots of side stepping to my left.  And lots of little pivots to the right. 

His heeling has actually gotten a ton better in recent weeks and I can actually walk at a normal pace a lot now!  I was doing tons of slow heeling, only going into a normal gait as a reward for actually being in heel position and not being forged.  Such a pushy little corgi!  I know I still need to put more emphasis on having his head in the right spot over his butt being crooked as he has been forging a lot longer then he's been sitting crooked.  Focus on one thing at a time I guess. 

Lindsay  – ( July 23, 2010 at 9:47 AM )  

It's that one thing at a time that's so hard!!!

Ninso  – ( July 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM )  

Funny! Jun's sit CUE is broken! Not sure how it happened, but she doesn't seem to know how to sit anymore. Back to kindergarten!

Dexter  – ( July 24, 2010 at 6:44 AM )  

Oh those pesky sits. Yuh, momma makes me practice next to the fence sometimes to keep my bottom from landing in strange places. Hey, a sit is a sit in my book, but I know how fussy those judges can be.

Slobbers,
Mango

Cristina - Corgi Tales  – ( August 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM )  

Is Lance still going to a chiropractor? I'd like to see what is meant by sitting crooked in a judges eyes - do you have it on video? Can't imagine how technical it is competing.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( August 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM )  

He is still seeing a chiropractor, but we are on a "maintenance schedule" and gradually lengthening time between visits. His last visit was 4wks ago, his next appointment is this thursday.

I don't have video of it, but it had gotten to the point where it is no longer just a little crooked that someone new to obedience wouldn't catch. It is sometimes so crooked that his butt is wrapped around my leg so that it's practically perpendicular to my body, like he's almost sitting behind me. Ok that's a little bit exaggerated, but not a whole lot!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"