Vito Hastings Disc Dog Comp

Yesterday we went to our 3rd disc dog competition!  It was extremely hot out but Vito didn't seem to mind too much.  My throws weren't quite as good this time and Vito only caught 1 of the 5.  The other 3 he all came in contact with in the air but for some reason bounced them off his mouth, and the last one was just a horrible throw.  In round #2 I had his daddy throw and both did very well, catching 4 of the 5 throws!  My plan is to slowly get Adam to become Vito's disc handler.  I think it would be great for him to do something with the dogs and he sadly has no interest in obedience or agility.


I got first?

Lance and Chuck want to point out that they were there too

At home we are progressing to vaulting off my thigh with me standing up, as opposed to kneeling on the ground.  There are still some times he decides to jump over my knee instead of actually putting his paws on me.  I'm actually quite impressed he can jump that high without vaulting!  And then there are other times where he seems to just barrel right through me.  I am still holding the disc at this point but soon I hope to learn how to float it for him.

He is also getting better about dropping the first disc while running when I cue him to.  Before he would drop a disc when standing near me to get a 2nd disc, but had a really hard time doing so when running back to me.  He does prefer his older blue Jawz disc to the newer green Jawz disc though.

And in my most proudest news, Vito can now do 1 full backward circle counterclockwise when the disc is in my hands!!! It's been so difficult for Vito to be able to do any of his tricks when he gets over aroused, which is basically anytime I have a ball or frisbee in my hand.  He much prefers to stomp his feet and shriek at me :) I still have a long ways to go but his small list of tricks when a disc is out are now:
sit, down, left spin, right spin, leg weaves, and 1 backward circle!

Amy / Layla the Malamute  – ( July 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM )  

WOW, that's so cool! I love the disc dog competitions but have never gotten to see one in person. My favorite was the second throw of Adam's.

That sounds awesome and difficult that he can do a backwards circle. He's got a great list of tricks!

Muttsandaklutz  – ( July 19, 2010 at 7:48 AM )  

Looking good! Vito's got so many tricks, his freestyle routing is going to be something else for sure.

Cinnamon and Mint  – ( July 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM )  

Wow, Vito really loves his Frisbees!! And he jumps impressively high!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"