Vito's 2nd Obedience Trial!

Today Vito has his 2nd attempt at Novice B!


 Heel on leash/figure 8- 1pt off
What a great dog!  Very attentive and really working hard on heel position.  A little bit of a lag, and a peek at the judge, after the first about turn but catches up quickly.

I remembered to go the left on the figure 8, unlike with Lance, and I think this helped.  He still lagged a tiny bit on the outside turn but I tried to remember to drive though it and Vito started to pick up the pace

Stand for Exam- 0pts off
Big head turn towards the judge but no feet moved!

Heel Free- 4.5pts lost
Some lagging at the first left turn, and another look at the judge.  Much tighter about turn but I felt some nuzzling on my hand as Vito checked to see if I was holding any treats :)  The last about turn Vito got distracted by a wall and went off to sniff but quickly caught himself before I had to say anything.  Actually quite a few dogs got lost in that corner today.  And I cost us 3pts during this as I forgot to let my left hand swing enough.  When I get nervous I tend to stiffen up and heel with a straight left hand.  I think it also makes me feel safer about my dog's heel position, as sort of a target.  The judge rightfully hit us for it and it's a good reminder for me to pay more attention.

Recall- .5pts off
Less bouncy this time :)  He still steps up my foot but I dont think the judge caught it.  She did get the crooked front though.


Overall
I am so excited by his performance!  Vito scored a 197, but I got that knocked to a 194.  Everything from his debut last month was much better.  Vito didn't get ahead of me on the fast time and had tighter turns.  He did steal a few glances at the judge so I think I need to practice with a "judge" following us.  Tomorrow I will try to relax and move my arms and hopefully get our 3rd leg!

Crystal (Thompson) Barrera  – ( October 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM )  

Congratulations! Sounds like Vito did a great job. I didn't know that your arm needs to swing- then again, I've never read the AKC regs.

andrea  – ( October 23, 2010 at 9:39 PM )  

Nice work :)
(I have a terrible time leaving comments here sometimes - I often post them but they don't come through - I'm thinking good thoughts for Luke kitty too!!)

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 23, 2010 at 10:01 PM )  

Thanks for continuing to try Andrea! No comments are showing up in the spam filter blogger has so I don't know where they would disappear to.

Luke seems to be doing fine now. Very happy about the wet food and being extra annoying to the dogs :)

Pepper  – ( October 23, 2010 at 10:22 PM )  

He looks really great, he's got such a great attitude. Good luck for tomorow.

Amy / Layla the Malamute  – ( October 24, 2010 at 12:28 AM )  

Congratulations!! I'm so impatient to start trialing in obedience - to feel like I'm getting somewhere - but I don't just want to qualify; I want to get good scores, so I'm waiting.

I love how you played with him / praised him in between exercises. I know you're allowed to, but it seems like people either forget or just don't do it.

And, as usual, I love your song choice! Whenever I see you've uploaded a new video, I get almost as excited to hear the song as I am to see the dogs.

Muttsandaklutz  – ( October 24, 2010 at 5:41 PM )  

Brilliant! His focus is sooooo impressive. Great work.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 24, 2010 at 7:15 PM )  

Amy- It's hard to wait to start trialing. A lot of people I train with wait until they know they can go straight to utility, getting awesome scores along the way.

I was never that hardcore but I had a list of criteria that I even blogged about earlier this year, but ultimately I threw it out the window and just decided to go and have fun.

Kiyi Kiyi  – ( October 26, 2010 at 5:08 PM )  

WOW! That is amazing! I would love for my puppy to do that well someday. Great work!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"