Lance the Low Rider

Well I finally put together a small, novice freestyle routine.  Thanks Hsin-Yi for making me do it!

I think the hardest thing about it was my role.  As I'm venturing into the world of dog sports my part in the competition has gotten a little larger each time.  Obedience is all about the dog.  Agility, once the dog is trained, lies mostly with the handler learning timing and movement.  But still the eyes are on the dog.  I think the next level up is disc dog freestyling where now the human has to be creative and come up with routines to showcase their dog.  They're even judged on different throws and set up moves but once again at least people are still really watching the dog.  I don't think I'm quite there yet even if I had the skills and Vito the thinking ability.  And then with canine freestyle it is much more of an equal partnership where in most organizations the handler is expected to wear costumes and actually dance!  I didn't make it to that level in this little routine but I did force myself to make a routine and perform it.

I kept putting off the actual execution  but did manage to practice a few times by myself and then 2 sessions with the corgi.  Clearly Lance had no problem being innovative and coming up with own tricks when he didn't like the ones I picked out for him!

Muttsandaklutz  – ( June 18, 2011 at 2:10 PM )  

I loved that!! Great job putting that all together, love the little accents to the music.

Interesting point about the different audience's focus in the various sports too -- I'd never thought of things that way before.

parlance  – ( June 19, 2011 at 3:36 AM )  

That was a super routine! So many moves and so clearly executed! I sure hope someone who did that backward circling around the human is going to put up a post for the rest of us showing how you taught it...

I loved it.

Anonymous  –   – ( June 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM )  

Wow!!! I watched your dance on Big Honey Dog's Blog - and wanted to write you a comment about how much I enjoyed watching your video. You sure know lots and lots of tricks! I watched your video with my dance partner (I entered the contest too, but I don't know many tricks at all). We were amazed by your video. We really liked a lot of your moves -- but the one where you dance with one paw in the air was great - my dance partner said "awww that's so cute" when we saw that part. I also like that move where you dance on your partners feet. Looks like you really enjoyed dancing. That was such a great routine! From, Lassiter Chase the Sheltie

Dawn  – ( June 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM )  

That was GREAT! You amaze me Laura.

Jaana  – ( June 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM )  

Lance seems to love it and when the dogs love something the humans have to fallow. I know I have even if it is really embarassing and odd at first. It WILL get easier :) You have obvious potential to be amazing in canine freestyle!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"