1 Week of Fiona

Well Fiona is shaping out to be an odd cookie.  Very jumpy, barky, bitey on one hand but normally a pretty sweet and calm girl.  I'm personally hoping the feisty side wins out at least a little bit.


She is a big cuddler.  Very content to be cuddled and passed around to admiring fans.  And very responsive to any verbal corrections  I don't exactly want a sensitive dog but it certainly does help training!

Fiona is super independent with her toys.  We are working hard on playing tug which she enjoys, but she would much rather have the toy all to herself.  She really wants me to chase her and a toy but I've told her that is never going to happen.  Since puppies usually like bringing a toy to their favorite spot, I've tried intercepting her route.  She thinks it is great fun to try and squeeze by me at the last second.  If I wait for her at her doggy bed she gives me an evil glare and changes direction.  I really need to move to a hallway.

And while she's learning to give me fabulous eye contact while walking, she can be insanely stubborn when she doesn't want to go in a certain direction.

Lance is in love.  Usually he's a puppy fan but still grumbles for 3 days or so.  But with Fiona he only grumbled for about half a day.  Vito is doing fantastic in pretending she doesn't exist.  He's doing so few evil faces and even lets her cuddle near him or *gasp* even touch him!  Actually he's tried to play with her twice.  The first time his loud growling and in your face play bow confused her, the 2nd time he was done within 30 seconds.


She had her first outing this weekend to Petsmart.  I am happy to report that I recognized when she had to pee and saved the situation by rushing her outside :)  I unfortunately forgot treats so the outing didn't go as I planned but she still offered some lovely attention loose leash walking, and downs when I stopped moving.

Bert  – ( July 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM )  

Hi Laura
I just found your blog and love it. You are a very talented dog trainer and I have enjoyed reading and watching your videos from the past.

I love lance he is so great.

Normally the only one who comments is Bert because it is his blog that we are coming to you from, but I just wanted you to know how amazing I think you are.

Vickie

Dizzy  – ( July 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM )  

Awesome! I want a Fiona! I hope the new place is working out well for you.

Ninso  – ( July 7, 2011 at 8:19 AM )  

I want a Fiona too!! As soon as my own dogs are trained . . .

Jaana  – ( July 9, 2011 at 4:02 AM )  

I am not a lab person either but this cute face is just so hard to resist!

Her playing style reminds me of my dachshund Prana when she came to me at 6 months old. We really had to work on that one! I bet we'll see Fiona retrieving toys in no time :D

Achieve1dream  – ( July 12, 2011 at 8:20 PM )  

She's so cute! You're doing great with her. I wish I'd taught Jackal to pivot at a younger age. I think it would have been easier then. Oh well. We can still work on it. I wish I had a big area to train in like you have. That must be so nice. :) I love the part at the end where she crawled into the end table. I can't wait to see her try that as she gets bigger lol.

Unknown  – ( July 20, 2011 at 6:11 AM )  

I'm FINALLY catching up! :-) I know you've got another later post on Fiona but I thought I'd read things from the beginning. She is such a cutie! And WOW - I am so impressed by all the things she's learning at just 9 weeks!!! Gosh - you've really inspired me for my next puppy. I remember teaching Honey just the basics from 8 weeks and people were already telling me off for "over training" her and not letting her live like a normal puppy, blah-blah-blah...of course, she wasn't going to be a service dog but still - your video just shows that you can train lots of things really young and the pup still has fun!

I know what you mean about verbal corrections - Honey is so sensitive to them that people can't believe that is all I really need to use most of the time and that when I talk about "using corrections" - what I really mean is raising my voice! :-) I think I'd be really in trouble if my next dog isn't sensitive like Honey is coz I'm so used to it and so spoilt!

By the way, LOVE your new header picture - just gorgeous - although Lance does look a bit funny with that wet, curly coat - ha! ha!

OK - going to continue slowly working my way through your posts. I like to save them for when I have enough time to read them properly...

Hsin-Yi

Unknown  – ( July 20, 2011 at 6:13 AM )  

Sorry - I didn't mean to say "Lance" in the photo - I meant Vito! Aaarrrgghh!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"