Kitty training

Ever since seeing Pawsitive Vybe's kitty doing 2x2's (seriously!!!) I've felt so much like a slacker that I became inspired to train the cat.  I briefly tried training Luke around the time that Vito was a puppy but stopped because I didn't hate myself that much!  Training a cat certainly requires patience.

Kitty has had a few sessions so far and is learning how to beg, and lift a paw.  I'm trying to get a spin but so far it has only resulted in a butt nudging up against my leg.  I don't know how butt marking fits in with the whole hunting process but every time I feed him he has to rub and rub.  The one thing Luke has been taught since a kitten was to go to his chair and sit to wait for food.  But 4yrs later and he still has to rub up against the chair at least once before sitting.  Doesn't he know by now that it only delays the food?!

This time around is going better than last time at least.  Luke eats wet food ever since his bladder problems started and he is much more motivated to work than he was just using his kibble or even dog treats.

Awesomeness.  Clearly not my cat:

Elayne  – ( November 11, 2011 at 6:22 PM )  

Have you seen this? 4 month old kitten does a set of 6 weave poles, the teeter, tunnel/jump sequences and a bunch of tricks. Was trying to convince my husband we need a cat for me to train then realized maybe I should figure out how to train the dog first.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( November 11, 2011 at 6:24 PM )  

I have seen that one! It wasn't even a bengal! I think I'll embed the awesomeness.

andrea  – ( November 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM )  

AWESOME work Luke and you ... and the video is just amazing!!

Muttsandaklutz  – ( November 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM )  

I get such a kick out of these cat agility photos! So so cool. Love that photo of Luke too.

Unknown  – ( November 12, 2011 at 6:39 AM )  

Ha! Ha! That is truly an "awesome" cat! Makes me feel like I'm slacking too! AMAZING!! Especially as you can see that she isn't just "luring" the whole way with treats but the cat is actually choosing to do those actions(eg. in Agility) - love the suitcase trick too! Must try that with Muesli...have to say, though, when I got to the tennis ball part, I started to wonder if it was a cat-dog hybrid?! By then, it was all starting to look like very "doggie" behaviour - hee! hee! Like a cat with an identity crisis! Hah! :-)

But so inspirational! Thanks for posting that - good to give me a kick up the backside - I have slacked off so much on training this year, with Honey, never mind Muesli!

But how funny! Talk about coincidence - I just post our latest post and it was about cat training too! Hah! "Great minds think alike" (*wink*) - although our success is much more modest!! I have just managed to teach Muesli ONE more trick...but considering that she has been trying to "High 5" everyone and everything for months now, it's great to have something else to ask her to do! :-)

Hsin-Yi
ps. hope you post a video soon of your training sessions with Luke!

Achieve1dream  – ( November 23, 2011 at 9:26 AM )  

Wow that video is awesome! What a smart cat. If I could find a cat with that sort of personality (I always liked orange tabbies the best lol) I would so have a cat to train. I don't like the indifferent attitude of most cats, but I've never tried clicker training them before. I like how this one acts like a dog. :) Thanks for sharing.

I can wait to read/see your progress with Luke. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"