Stay or Go?!

My verdict on teaching both a running and a stopped dogwalk... happiness.  Neither are anywhere close to being the fastest or best executed dogwalks, but we have understanding, and yellow!  I was so worried I was going to screw up his running and worried I would have painful creepage for the stops.   

Video shows "eh" results; I can live with that.  I have goals to teach "the next dog" how to properly collect for turns after a running dogwalk, but I think I am finally going to be content with Vito's simple run or stop answer.  I've just barely started sequencing before the dogwalk now so we still have a bit to go.  He's also quite dependent on my motion at this point.


I'm mostly happy that our break from agility due to his accident was pretty short (3wks) and he didn't show any hesitation about going on the dogwalk again!

The corgi wants to say that confusion still reigns a bit on my end for his contacts, but that he is taking control for me.  His answer is a slightly creeping 2o2o on the dogwalk and aframe, with the occasional 4 on for both as well.  I am slowly accepting his decision and leadership in the area.  Bow to the corgi.

Unknown  – ( October 18, 2012 at 8:00 AM )  

I think his running dog walk is looking fantastic!! Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing the video. Kelly & Surf www.runningoninstincts.com

Berts Blog  – ( October 18, 2012 at 8:34 AM )  

We enjoy watching them both so much. Glad you video it.
Bert and My Vickie

Shenna Lemche AKA Project Leader  – ( October 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM )  

Wow!!! Go Toller! That looks awesome, he seems to be happy with both. How are you doing the cue? Before (like, two different DW commands) or somewhere on the dog walk?

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM )  

Thanks guys!

Shenna- I'm doing both.
Run= "walk it" on the approach then "go-go-go-go"
stopped= "stop" on the approach, then "feet" at the midplank. I might eventually get rid of the feet cue.

I think just cuing on the midplank might make a faster stopped contact in the beginning but I didn't want him having to think. Thinking = bad for the toller. Thus the decision to reward attempts at stopping even if he doesn't hit a 2o2o.

Loretta Mueller  – ( October 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM )  

LOOKS LOVELY! Isn't that so very very nice??????

andrea  – ( October 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM )  

good dogs ... and awesome you for working with what you have :) you rock!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"