More Birds

Training for a new sport is so interesting!  Maybe I'll never take this stuff very far but learning new foundations will always captivate me!

Vito has been the most fascinating.  When the pigeon I was using got a little torn, Vito turned into Savage Toller!  In this session I learned that I needed to stick with holds before re-progressing back to short retrieves.  I also eventually realized I needed to make the release cue very calm to prevent Vito from wanting to re-grab the bird as his "reward."  Fascinating stuff!


Later I got Vito back to the duck.  His first non frozen duck.  And interestingly enough Vito was a bit more hesitant again.  Not sure if it was due to the difference in size, taste, or just general conflict in knowing that I didn't want him to eat it!  I ended up having better luck with the bird on the ground again and doing short retrieves than doing holds.

Today's session I just focused on short retrieves.  Skipped the holds until the very end when I would ask him to sit after he picked it up.  A bit more wanting to pluck feathers came out but still pretty minimal overall.

And Zumi has continued to do great working with a real duck.  No issues at all picking it up and only occasional issues with holding it.  This last weekend was the first time we added in diversions while retrieving a duck and also introduced doubles with a duck and a dokken.
Biggest issue right now is her ever lifting butt!  Some sessions she remains insistent on completely standing and I have to go out and retrieve the duck myself until she is capable of remaining in a sit.  Thankfully she's never actually completely broken the stay and left without a release.


Merinda  – ( March 29, 2016 at 9:09 AM )  

"Savage Toller!" I love it!
I think I get the biggest kick out of just watching you handle the dead birds in these videos :)

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( March 30, 2016 at 8:16 AM )  

Ha ha! I still feel a bit sad for the birds and try to be gentle :) Good thing no serious field trainer is watching!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"