Panic attack

Today I had a complete panic attack as Vito had to be rushed to the emergency vet.  I had left Lance and Vito in my place as I went up the stairs to talk to the upstairs neighbor.  I thought it would be good practice for Vito to be left alone as he could still hear me.  When I came back down a half hour later I saw Lance but couldn't see Vito from the entrance way.  As I went in I suddenly saw him lying down with his head comletely up a bag of kettle corn.  I yelled but he didn't move as I went over so I pulled the bag off his head to find him panting hysterically.  His tounge was hanging out of his mouth and was very purple, the side of his mouth was covered in drool, pupils dilated, and poop surrounded him.  He could stand but looked very dizzy.  I immediately scooped him up, yelled upstairs for the neighbor to watch the dogs, and sprinted to the car. 

Thankfully by the time I pulled into the ER he was starting to breathe normal.  And when they checked his vitals he was fine except for a sore trachea.  The naughty dog is fine now, just very tired.  I don't think I am quite recovered yet.

Muttsandaklutz  – ( July 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM )  

Oh my God, I'm so sorry to hear you guys went through this but SO SO SO glad to hear that he will be just fine. What a serious scare that must have been -- brings tears to my eyes thinking of what it must have felt like to see that -- true panic. Take it easy the next little while, keep a box of kleenex handy, and remember the important thing is that Vito is going to be just FINE! Hugs to you and the little furry red guy!

Lindsay  – ( July 5, 2010 at 9:33 PM )  

Good lord!! Glad he's okay, but what on earth was he thinking?

Crystal (Thompson) Barrera  – ( July 5, 2010 at 9:35 PM )  

Oh, my gosh! I'm so glad Vito is okay! I can't even imagine how scary that must have been.

Amy / Layla the Malamute  – ( July 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM )  

OMG!!! Great thing that you came home when you did. That's terrifying!

I know exactly how you feel. Horrible, horrible feeling.

Glad that he's okay, and I hope that you relax soon!

Pepper  – ( July 5, 2010 at 11:49 PM )  

OMG Laura, thats so scary, I'm so glad he's ok, I'll bet you're glad you came home when you did. A lady I work with had her Lab puppy die recently doing the same thing, so a real danger.
Emily

Unknown  – ( July 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM )  

Oh my God - you poor thing! What an awful, awful experience!! Naughty Vito!! Glad there was no permanent damage or side-effects. Think you need to pour yourself a stiff drink (if you drink) or run a hot bath and try to get over it! :-) Sorry been madly busy over last few weeks so no time to visit other blogs at all. I know I've missed quite a few of your posts - hope I'll get the chance to catch up at some point.

Hsin-Yi

Dexter  – ( July 6, 2010 at 6:11 AM )  

WHat a fright! I am so glad that he is OK. Poor Vito. I am sure it seemed like a good idea to him at the time.

Mango Momma

Dawn  – ( July 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM )  

Oh how scary. I am glad he is OK and hope you have recovered too.

Lauren  – ( July 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM )  

Oh wow, how scary :(

I hope both of you are feeling better!

kristi.w.  – ( July 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM )  

Oh my gosh, how scary! I would be pretty shaken up too. Glad you found him in time and got to help.

Jenna Z  – ( July 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM )  

Oh, wow, such a scare! The weird thing is that at least once a year there are warnings about this happening to Corgis, but I doubt the same warnings make it around the Toller email lists. Sadly, the warnings are usually spread after a death of a Corgi from suffocating in a chips bag/bread bag/turkey carcass. Their poor little legs are useless for pulling such dangers off their faces! I'm SO glad he's ok!!

Achieve1dream  – ( July 6, 2010 at 7:49 PM )  

Oh no! That must have been terrifying! I'm so glad Vito is okay. Just reading this has tears in my eyes. I can only imagine how scared you must have been. I'm glad he's okay.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart  – ( July 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM )  

OMG. That is so scary. I'm glad he is OK. We had a scare like that with a bag of cereal that Lilly got stuck on her head, and then later ... she once got stuck inside a trash bag (long story).

I swear, the worry, the worry.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"