We have a dog walk!

I think Vito and I are back on track with our running contacts work.  Adam and his parents were nice enough to make me my very own dogwalk!!!  Unfortunately the backyard where we rent has too uneven ground so it wasn't very stable here.  It now resides at my parents house and I have dutifully been making the drive down  a few times each week.


I am still having the ball out as a target, but it is no longer close to the end.  I have even been able to progress to putting the ball after a jump again!  He jumped the first few times but since has been really good.  My only concern is that today it looks like he is jumping on the middle plank sometimes.  I think it's because the boards don't match up 100% so there is a very slight bit of the angled board protruding over the middle.  I'm not sure how he even notices it, but it's the only explanation I can think of as to why he's likely to do it going one direction but not the other.  Thankfully he is still stretching his stride so that he is running all the way down the plank.

Now I'm just debating about how to progress.  Do I work on adding turns by slowly moving the jump and his ball at different angles?  Or do I work on fading away the ball as a target first?  I am tempted to get rid of his target first and do turns second, but I'm worried about Vito not having enough drive for the jump straight out ahead and thus slowing down to look at me and loosing his beautiful striding.  Maybe if I do turns first it's more practice with the reward being after the jump and more practice with him being successful running all the down before I fade the target?  Any suggestions???

Raegan  – ( July 19, 2010 at 12:04 AM )  

I think I'd add turns first. I might even do turns without a jump first, depending on how solid his understanding of running down is/how the striding turns out. You might be able to do both, actually, do turns with a target but start fading the target on straights.

Muttsandaklutz  – ( July 19, 2010 at 7:50 AM )  

If I may offer a correction, Vito does not have a running dogwalk.

He has a FLYING dogwalk!! ;-) Seriously though he looks amazing. *wow*

Achieve1dream  – ( July 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM )  

Yay on the dogwalk! Congrats!

I'll try to start posting more about Jackal and Storm. That's one of the reasons I was worried about combining the blogs because I didn't want to leave anyone out. :) I'll do my best.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"