Go Click Challenge- 2 paws vs 4 paws

The last Go Click was a discrimination between having 2 paws on an object and 4 paws on it.


I was worried because the last discrimination training I did (nose vs paw target) was a pain in the butt. This challenge had some the same complicating element of being 2 behaviors on only one object, but somehow it was way easier! I don't know why it was easier, maybe because they had to fully commit to one option and thus it was impossible to do both behaviors at once whereas they could offer both a nose and paw at the same time earlier? Or because it was easier to interrupt the wrong behavior by taking them off the object before they had a chance to switch to the 2nd choice? Or perhaps since it was a more active trick the dogs had more fun and thus were less stressy about it?

Both dogs are hovering around 80% accuracy right now and I'll probably leave it like that. In real life (agility) their 4 paws is the table and Vito's 2 paws is the teeter with Lance not evening needing a 2o2o.

Oh and Vito got in some extra distance practice the last session as his "box" kept moving and sliding towards the wall. I decided to just see what happened and while his discrimination accuracy went way down, Vito had no problem doing both behaviors at a distance.

Dexter  – ( April 23, 2010 at 5:27 AM )  

I was so worried at the start of the movie watching Lance wait his turn. I was glad he got to use a shorter box without wheels.

That looked great to me. Thanks for the happy making peemail about my privates tutoring. I couldn't have done it without your support and inspiration.

Slobbers,
Mango

Unknown  – ( April 29, 2010 at 12:22 AM )  

What an interesting challenge! I always find your blog so inspirational for training! Must try this with Honey sometime...although my biggest problem is getting her to actually jump up (all 4 feet) on something - she seems very hesitant to put her weight up on things...maybe I just can't find decent, solid things big enough for her to climb on in the house.

By the way, sorry if this is a stupid question but why do they always only do the back 2 paws for your "feet" command? Why not the front 2 paws? Would that be a different command?

Hsin-Yi

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( April 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM )  

Feet is their cue for the 2o2o position commonly used in agility. My boys don't actually have a 2o2o in agility as Vito does running contacts and Lance does 4 on the floor (down at the bottom) but I have taught them it just in case I need to switch criteria down the line.

Technically I guess there are 3 behaviors that they know to do with an "upside down box" I guess. 2 front paws is their default behavior as I have done a lot of pivoting, but I don't have a verbal cue for it. I didn't even realize that I was practicing something that had to ignore their default behavior!

Achieve1dream  – ( May 12, 2010 at 7:24 PM )  

That is sooooo awesome!!!! I always know when I read your blog I'm going to walk away feeling inspired to actually do something with my dogs lol so thanks!! They are both doing great!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"