Go Click Challenge- Fronts

This past week the challenge was to improve the dogs fronts for obedience.


Since this is where Lance looses multiple points each trial it was perfect!  Unfortunately for Lance, we didn't get that many practice sessions in where we could work them at a distance.  Lance is usually pretty good at finding front from odd angles, pivoting in front, and side stepping to his right for fronts.  What he is not always good at is doing them at speed under the pressure of a trial (and side stepping to his left).  I can't say that we really made any progress this week.  Actually Lance was much worst on his last session this week then he was on the first session.  Damn dog!  It was really just an off day today when I filmed as Lance just started sucking at the aspects he is usually good at.

Vito is also decent at finding fronts from odd angles, pivoting in front, and sidestepping in front in both directions.  I guess I practice these aspects more often then doing recalls at speed, since Vito also sucks at getting a good front when he is blasting across the room.  This is also the one area where Vito still steps on my feet as he comes again, although I have managed to get rid of it on any close front.  Besides slamming on my feet, Vito also tends to come in crooked to my right as while I always treat directly in front and have them in both hands, I usually give the treat from my right hand.  Bad trainer.  And last but not least, Vito tends to over correct his stepping on my feet by sometimes sitting too far away for my liking.  I also don't know if I made any progress this week with Vito as he too had a crappy session today during filming.  Not as bad as Lance's, but still wasn't pretty.

Update:  I wrote this yesterday and reworked them again today to take new video footage.  I'm much happier, although still not great.  Bad days and good days...

Lindsay  – ( April 5, 2010 at 9:49 PM )  

I thought they looked great!! Maybe I should video my attempts with my dogs and then you can feel much better about yours!LOL

Dexter  – ( April 6, 2010 at 5:23 AM )  

Love watching Lance scoot his little bottom into position. Those obedience judges are so strict! I think they need a good enough obedience for dogs with sloppy sits (not that you would be entering that, but for lazy owners like me who are just happy to have the dog sitting). I did like those side moves.

Mango Momma

kristi.w.  – ( April 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM )  

I can't believe how big Vito is now! He was such a little guy when we were in classes last year.

Unknown  – ( April 10, 2010 at 7:11 PM )  

Great video!! Funny - "Front" is one of the first moves we teach in dancing - although it's a slightly different version in that we ask the dog to remaing standing - so that later on we can extend it into the "side-ways crab walking" thing that we do or pivoting around with us in a circle...

I agree with Mango Momma - I wish Obedience wasn't so strict on the precise Sits & things - it's what's always put me off entering any trials with Honey - not because she can't be traiend to sit straight but I just don't feel it's important enough to be bothered to put in the time to train her! As long as she sits reliably and relatively in the correct position - there are so many OTHER things that I feel are more important or more fun to spend time training! :-)

Hsin-Yi

Golden Samantha  – ( April 11, 2010 at 9:47 PM )  

Oh wow! Just what we're working on right now, but not as well as you're doing! Great ideas (and great soundtrack too heheh!) - have lots of work ahead! Thanks for the ideas!
xoSammie

Lindsey  – ( April 16, 2010 at 3:06 PM )  

How do you teach fronts? Do you use throwing the food between your legs as a way to get them to line up straight? I think your boys look wonderful and I hope to bring my own pup up to speed!

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( April 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM )  

I throw the treats mainly as a reward since my dogs LOVE thrown treats and it keeps the excitement up. I throw it between my legs to encourage the really close fronts and hopefully to aim for straighter fronts. but the main reason is really just for fun. I also sometimes open my legs right before they get to me so they never know when they're going to have to sit.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"