Club Fun Match

The club had their annual member only fun match today!  Sadly there are not very many members who actually compete with their dogs so it's always a small turnout.  But it's one of the few times each year where us obedience folks get to set up our rings on the agility side where open and utility are actually held during a trial!


Lance- Open
Lance was forging once again but it wasn't too horrid.  He also was really wide on his about turns, taking time to look around before he came back into heel. The figure 8 was set up real close to the high jump and Lance thought he was supposed to take it.  I saw the look in his his eyes before he really went anywhere so gave him another cue to heel.  Drop on recall was nice, retrieve on flat was perfect, crap front on retrieve over high, and  his broad jump looked weird.  But I suppose he has never done a broad jump with the new lower length he gets now that corgis are a 3/4 height breed.  Held both stays!

Vito- Open
Vito is not ready for open but I thought I would see where he is at.  Heeling was ok, he was a bit distracted at the start but not for long.  A little bit of forging but overall very nice.  Figure 8 was good except for a bit of a lag during the first outside turn.

On the drop on recall Vito took the high jump which was set a bit closer then normal.  I tried to interrupt him but was too slow and he was already taking off.  On the repeat Vito did a very nice drop on my verbal.  He has never practiced the DOR with jumps out so it was a good reminder of something I need to start proofing for.

Retrieve on flat had a crooked front despite my trying to help guide him in with my hand placement.  A little bit better for the retrieve over high.  Broad jump he ticked it and then was confused since he couldn't find a treat I did not throw!  Same thing on the repeat.

On the out of sight group stays Vito was pretty distracted on the set up.  I got Lance into position first and then Vito and he was giving me attention off and on.  He lied down on the sit at about 2.5min and I walked in to put him back up.  Held the down for the 5min.  All of his fronts and finishes were a bit crooked in open.

Lance-Utility
Our first attempt at utility!  On the signal exercise Lance was heeling much better.  Very little forging but was still wide on the about turns.  He did a very solid stand but then lied down on the judges signal.  I gave him a verbal correction, a verbal stand, and then finished the exercise.  I redid the heeling to stand walked out and waited while the judge gave multiple signals before walking back in to reward him.

While scenting my article and trying to get Lance to mark the article pile being put out, Lance noticed I was standing in front of lots of dirt on the ground.  He kept staring at the dirt instead of watching the pile so I told him leave it.  On the turn and send Lance stopped with me and told me he was being a good boy to leave the pile of dirt.  I told him he was an idiot and redid the turn and send which Lance did correctly but a little bit slower then normal.  He grabbed the right one pretty quickly and I told him yes when he started moving away from the pile with it.  I don't know if he would have dropped it like he has been doing at trials but I wanted to play it safe.  On the 2nd article Lance did the turn and send no problem but took him longer to make the decision on the right article.  He kept going to it but then researching the pile.  On the return he came straight, made a nice little curve around the dirt at the last second, and then fixed himself for the perfect front.

We had glove #1 and it was beautiful!  No confusion over whether to take the jump in either direction.  Moving stand was very nice.

On the go out Lance was once again wanting to mark the dirt pile.  When I finally felt confident he was staring straight ahead I sent him and he veered off to the left corner.  I called him back, went closer and sent him again.  This time Lance again veered off left but when I called him he went to the middle on his own.  I ran with him there, had him touch, and then went all the back to the start.  I send him full length, he does a strong touch to the gate, I reward, walk back out and send him over the jump.  It looks as though Lance didn't quite see the jump right away but did head in the right direction and then suddenly he found it and did a nice job.  The second real go out is very straight and fast and he does a nice jump. 
All of Lance's fronts were spectacular in utility!!!

Vito- Novice
It was an extremely long heeling pattern but I was kind've glad as Vito started a little bit distracted but then got better as we went.  The good thing is that a distracted Vito is still doing a decent job of staying in position, he's just not giving me eye contact.  The bad is that his fast time sucked.  Really good figure 8, great stand for exam, and much better off leash heeling.  Vito was distracted for the first 5 steps but then was in perfect heel and even gave me prancy feet :)  On the recall he stepped on my foot for the front and was crooked.  And then had a crooked finish.

KLW @ Dog.Nerd.101  – ( February 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM )  

Sounds like you've been working hard on all of this! I am thinking about trying rally out. Do you have any videos of your guys doing obedience? Would love to see!

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( February 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM )  

I like doing rally, i think it's really good prep work for obedience. Some dogs don't like the jerkiness of it but it really helped Lance learn to pay attention as he never knew when I was going to be changing directions. Being able to talk to your dog is a nice way to transitioning to trialing too.

I didn't get any video of the fun match today but I put their show videos on my youtube site.
Here's Vito's last trial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErD8Fb8UPZI

And Lance's last trial in graduate open:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ76sRviIXs

Dawn  – ( February 5, 2011 at 11:11 PM )  

Where were you that there was a dirt pile? Just curious. Sounds like it was a good day overall. Some really nice moments.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( February 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM )  

It was at TCOTC, I assume the dirt was dragged in by someone's shoes, crates, something! It was quite the pile and has given me one thing we really need to work on.

Amy / Layla the Malamute  – ( February 7, 2011 at 8:18 PM )  

It sounds like a great day! I love fun matches. I like the idea of rally for the reason that you gave in the above comment; I think the idea that Layla will have no idea where I'm about to go will keep her more focused.

Thank you so much for commenting on the agility videos - I really appreciate it! I have taken Layla off the course in class before, and just once is usually enough to get the point across. It's always for the same reason though, for her just running around oblivious to me and zooming wherever she pleases. At least that's consistent as the reason for why she's taken off the course, and in class she does focus better after a "time out". I really want to proof her contacts, but since I don't have any equipment at my home we'll have to just work on our stairs and hope for the best.

I usually do try and set Layla up in a straight line for the next obstacle. She's good at taking angle jumps, I guess that was just a mental slip.

I agree with you about not telling the dog when you've made a mistake. If they do what you told them to do, regardless of whether it was intended, that's a good thing.

Thank you again for the comment - I REALLY appreciate all of your advice!

Dawn  – ( February 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM )  

Isnt it amazing that they can focus on something so simple as a dirt pile. It does make it hard to proof, I never would have thought to try to proof for that.

Achieve1dream  – ( February 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM )  

Good grief! I don't know how you keep track of it all. I think I would have problems remembering everything with just one dog hehe. I'm glad you had fun and they did well. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"