Siblings

Gracie got to play with her brother quite a bit this last week.  Mr. Rooney was in for some boot camp, aka basic manners training.  Boot camp #2 for him, as the first one was our puppy swap back in March.

He was quite happy to be at the kennels and a little too obnoxious with the other dogs, even for a  Labrador!  I think all the pictures I have of him and Gracie playing have Angry Face featured.




Rooney reminds me a ton of Gracie.  The same weird bark, the same head tilts, and overall super sweet and hard working personality.  Just a 15lb difference in size!  He was a fast learner and a very respectful dog once he knew the rules.  Only a little bit of testing!

And on an unrelated note, Lance and I are headed down to Chicago this morning for a Corgi Specialty!  Wish us luck in the obedience ring!

Kathie R  – ( October 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM )  

Laura, I have a question (unrelated to this post, but didn't know how else to contact you :) on how you teach the 'out' when tugging or retrieving. Do you use clicker or shaping? I've been doing the exchange for a treat, but it doesn't always work well so I was looking for something else.
Thanks! Kathie

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( October 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM )  

During a play tug/fetch I don't use food. I first teach a retrieve to me, in order to tug. Let the dog win the tug, get them to shove it in my hand again. Once that is solid I then introduce the drop/out. I make the toy as dead as possible, gathering it up close to my body and making sure nothing is dangling. With a strong dog, I pin it to the floor instead of my body so that it can't move at all. The toy becomes dead, the dog gets bored after a bit and lets go, I mark it with a verbal yes and play tug as reward. Dropping lets the game start up again.

With the formal retrieve, I have the drop already built into the shaping process. I click the mouth/pickup in the very early stages, dog drops to get cookie after I click. It's a very controlled shaping progression to get to the full retrieve and hold, but at every step the dog is dropping on the click. It's very easy to switch to a word since the expectation is already there.

Kathie R  – ( October 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM )  

Thanks Laura, I've been doing a lot of shaping and clicker work with this puppy, so I think this approach will work better. He loves to tug, which is a real change from Jackson, so I'm trying to keep the enthusiasm, while still maintaining a degree of control:) A tug session that doesn't end in blood being spilled(mine)is rare. I'll let you know how it goes.

Unknown  – ( October 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM )  

Looks like the siblings had a great time! :-)

And good luck with the Corgi Specialty!

Dexter  – ( October 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM )  

15 pounds of flying labrador makes a big difference. But labs are clever pups, so I'm not surprised he learned the rules quickly.

Good luck with Lance!

Mango Momma

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"