Go Click Challenge- Back Onto Object

  This week's challenge was to teach the dogs to put their back feet onto an object. 

 
Lance
 Lance had already been taught to get into this position for his 2o2o in agility but we hadn't worked with him backing onto an object to do so.  But with his great hind end awareness it wasn't that difficult for him.  Due to his obvious physical limitations we couldn't work up to that high of an object :)  But we did decide to work on getting a really fast 2on2off with a box.  In agility he still isn't confident about what I want him to do on the dog walk, (and really who can blame him!) so he has been hesitating a bit before going into the correct position or sometimes offering me 4 feet on instead.  So I figured that this week's challenge would be a good way to practicing driving into his 2o2o!

Vito
Vito has done a lot of work backing onto an object since he was a pup.  I actually had to stop training him to do so since he started to skip a bunch of steps and started doing mini handstands at way to young of an age.  Now that he just turned 16 months, I've been meaning to resume practice on his handstand!  I think we're doing pretty good, he definitely understand the concept at least!  We still have a ways to go though on strength and balance.

Dexter  – ( February 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM )  

You go Vito! Like he has a string attached. Poor little Lance with his short leggies, but the fast skid stop was very impressive.

Slobbers,
Mango

Megan  – ( February 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM )  

That's crazy Vito can do that! Lance's control of his body is simply amazing too! As always, I'm left inspired to train MORE!

Achieve1dream  – ( March 1, 2010 at 9:08 AM )  

Wow Vito is talented at the handstand. I can't wait to see it finished. They both did very nice. I love watching your videos.

Achieve1dream  – ( March 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM )  

Wow! Thanks for the great tips on teaching heel! I love the idea of walking in circles and letting them choose to heel. I've never heard that one before. Also clicking for being in position on the left side without even moving is something else I never thought of. I have trouble breaking things down into small steps. Thank you so much!

Achieve1dream  – ( March 4, 2010 at 8:12 PM )  

I think the reason the "be a tree method" worked for Jackal is because I have done short walks where I clicked him for being in the heel position. In fact he'd gotten really good at it I just never added a cue word and I never built duration for it. I think at the time I'd thought he wasn't learning anything but apparently he did! I was so excited. :) I am going to work on clicking him for being in position separately, but when I'm taking both dogs for exercise this method is easier. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"