Our AKC Utility Debut!

Today was Lance's, and mine, debut in AKC Utility!  I was very nervous but Lance seemed to have a blast and once again even through in some bonus jumps :)  We didn't qualify, wrong article, but I am thrilled with his performance today.  Tomorrow we try again.  Video below:


 Signals
Way less forging than the last few trials!!!! Crappy halt but I'll take blame for not really doing my footwork.  Awesome job on the signals!

Articles- NQ
Creative corgi!  Lance saw the dumbbell throw from the open ring and when sent he took the jump and went looking for it.  He came back over it right away and started working the pile.  Unforunately he brought back the wrong one, but on the positive side he was confident!  The second send he again hopped over the jump and went looking for that dumbbell.  This time he spent more time looking so I called him back and then gave him a point to the pile.  He brought back the correct one this time :)

Gloves
Yay, he didn't even look at the jump on the way back!  He did finish on the judge's order though instead of waiting for mine.

Moving stand
More forging and he took a few extra steps when I left and the front feet on the exam.  Forged finish.

Directed Jumping
Nice confident run out between the jumps but then veered off to where the glove was and started coming back.  Then the judge nicely pointed out that I could move away from the gates and give him some room to finish :)  The 2nd go out he again ran out happily and made it closer to the gate before starting to turn back to me.

Amy  – ( September 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM )  

Wow! I've never seen AKC obedience before, that was really interesting to watch. Thanks!

Raegan  – ( September 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM )  

Way to go Lance! He heeling looked really nice.

PS I met a girl who knows you today at a NADAC agility trial. I don't know what her name is but her dogs are Jake and Sam.

Kathie R  – ( September 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM )  

Love, love, love his enthusiasm!!! Great debut!

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( September 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM )  

That would be Kelly :) Were you competing with Marsh or just watching?

Lynnda L  –   – ( September 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM )  

Thanks for posting your doggie exploits! Great working attitude on the little man. You finished with dog to spare. Lots of nice parts. You will place when it comes all together & you qualify [hope I'm not jinxing you]. On the Turn & Send for the scent articles, Lance did not respect your about turn [not sure if that is the best wording] -- he did not follow your clear footwork. I am not a fan of the close rings at trials -- I have witnessed dogs going into the other ring because they could not resist the other dog's dumbbell. [We want them to Love the Dumbell ....] You & Lance are lookin' good in obedience.

Lynnda L  –   – ( September 24, 2011 at 11:13 PM )  

On a different topic, any tips for videoing one's training sessions? Or is it just trial & error on the placement of the camera? I taped an agility session with Ringo the other day and I couldn't get the whole area into the picture. [I also need to learn to edit my Flip videos on some software.] Thanks again for posting all the videos -- loving Fiona's collages!

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( September 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM )  

I don't really think about videotaping my sessions. But I don't really video tape agility training except for their running contacts. I think trying to get a full agility sequence on tape would be hard, but I suppose you could mark what jumps are in view and what aren't.

With my camera I can flip around the view so I can see what's being recorded from the taping side. I also make note of what's in view and what isn't before I start, but usually I'm not moving around a whole bunch in a shaping session.

I edit my videos with Sony Vegas. While I was ok with Windows Movie Maker or imovie which come free, imovie was pain for large videos with lots of clips and Movie Maker was a pain since I had to always convert my .mpeg4 files before being allowed to import them into the program. So I caved in and bought Sony Vegas. But if you're not making that many then the free ones are very easy to use.

Achieve1dream  – ( October 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM )  

That is awesome!!! Lance is so amazing. I'm so impressed with what you've done with him. Keep up the fantastic work.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"