Running

I've started running with the toller.  To those who know me well it's a jaw dropping moment as I have always hated running.  Sure I swam competitively for 16yrs, but never running.  Short sprints around the agility field is fine but that at least is running as part of a larger goal, and it's short.

Alas what started me running was to increase Vito's exercise and endurance.  I'm hoping that doing so will help with his anxiety issues.  I suppose I could just throw a ball for him but he gets so worked up at the mere sight of one that I'm terrified he's going to have a heart attack after only 2 throws.  I was thinking lowering the intensity but increasing the duration would be more beneficial for him.

And that leads to goal #2 of getting myself in shape.  Since I haven't worked out in years I'm overdue.  I started the Couch to 5K program to ease me into it and I'm happy to report that I'm now done with week 4!  And even bigger news is so far I don't absolutely hate it!  I'm pretty sure my "running" speed is the same as my fast walking speed but I suppose that's a goal to work on after I can get some duration of running.

Vito has been an excellent running partner.  I'm using an over the shoulder leash I have that keeps him nice and close while leaving my hands free.  In the beginning it was a bit hard as I'm encouraging Vito to run on the grass instead of the sidewalk and this has always been against the rules in our walking.  I don't like it when dogs wander all over other people's yards so I've never let my dog's stray from the walkway.  It took Vito a few days to get the new rule but now he's doing pretty well.  He rarely pulls and I can see him trying so hard when a squirrel refuses to move until the last second!

The only thing I'm not sure on is how long I can keep it up now that summer is over.  I hate cold and my Raynaud's has already started.  But at least by posting now I get credit for what I did!

Dexter  – ( September 23, 2011 at 6:45 AM )  

Good for you! I used to run a lot when I was younger and have had several false starts running with Dexter. For me, it's a matter of making the commitment of actually putting on running clothes. I figure, why bother if I am going to do a walk / run, but then I am running in jeans. Not the best outfit. But they sure do have lots of pockets...

Mango Momma

Kathy Mocharnuk  – ( September 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM )  

WHOOO HOOO, good job. I have a freind doing that running program and she loves it, I keep meaning to start it......;-(, bad me! I should check out that type of leash for my next try to start, maybe you will be my inspiration to get off my butt!!!! ;-)

Muttsandaklutz  – ( September 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM )  

Ooooh... You're inspiring me here! I totally need more exercise but the usual procrastinating/laziness gets in the way. Couch to 5k -- I'll definitely look into that. thanks :D

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( September 23, 2011 at 8:47 PM )  

I don't think the over the shoulder leash (aka euro leash or 5 in 1) is the perfect running leash. I'd rather get a waist belt. But since Vito runs with me so nicely by my side it works and lets me be hands free. It only gives the dog a little bit of space so it wouldn't work at all with a puller.

Couch to 5k is a really slow way to ease yourself in. I think I would have quit the first week if it hadn't been so easy.

Achieve1dream  – ( October 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM )  

That's fantastic!! Congrats. :) I've found with my working out that after I completed the first six weeks I sort of lost steam. You have to make another goal to keep going with it. Keep up the fantastic work. Oh and I totally understand about the cold. I'm the same way. I'm already staying in bed longer lol. Trying to hibernate hehe.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"